Going to start Tying

EverGreen1231

I've received a beginning fly tying kit from a good friend of mine. I'm going to be experimenting next year. I'll keep y'all posted.

:biggrin3:

Georgia Hard Hunter

Welcome to the club, before I started tying I was spending and average of $2 a fly, now that I bought all my materials and upgraded my tools and vise I probably have $8 to $10 in each fly But I do it because I love it defiantly not to save money

EverGreen1231

Welcome to the club, before I started tying I was spending and average of $2 a fly, now that I bought all my materials and upgraded my tools and vise I probably have $8 to $10 in each fly But I do it because I love it defiantly not to save money

I suppose it's not a money saving endeavor; but I have some partridge Wyandotte chickens that have feathers that would look good on a crawfish imitation. At least I don't have to buy those. :bounce: I'm planning on keeping it real simple. Don't hold me to that. ;)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
If you are like most, you will become addicted to tying. It is an art form and is very satisfying. The best feeling comes when a big trout takes a fly you tied. :cheers:

Tentwing

If you tie for enough years ( that's right "years" ) the price per fly starts to drop off dramatically. I am still tying flies off saddles and necks that I bought back in 1988. :)

Also if you do a little searching the internet you can find deals on hooks and bead heads. Paymaster got it right though hooking a big trout on a fly you tied is awesome. Then when you start catching them on flies that you "invented " you will be tying forever :)

Post pics we will look forward to your progress, Tentwing

chobrown

Thats awesome I wish I had time to learn how to tie. With that being said does anybody here use duck feathers to tie flies? We were cleaning a few wood ducks and mallards last weekend and I couldn't help but notice how colorful the feathers were. If any of you guys want some shoot me a PM, I have some turkey feathers as well. I dont mind helping out a fellow member here. Lots of good people here have helped me.

Last edited:

EverGreen1231

Thats awesome I wish I had time to learn how to tie. With that being said does anybody here use duck feathers to tie flies? We were cleaning a few wood ducks and mallards last weekend and I couldn't help but notice how colorful the feathers were. If any of you guys want some shoot me a PM, I have some turkey feathers as well. I dont mind helping out a fellow member here. Lots of good people here have helped me.

I don't see why you couldn't use them. I would love to use some wood duck and turkey feathers. Might make for an interesting fly.

One of these days we'll have a fly swap. Hopefully I'll have some semblance of skill to add to the pot. :)

Georgia Hard Hunter

I suppose it's not a money saving endeavor; but I have some partridge Wyandotte chickens that have feathers that would look good on a crawfish imitation. At least I don't have to buy those. :bounce: I'm planning on keeping it real simple. Don't hold me to that. ;)

I started tying in 1987 and was just going to tye a few patterns that I fished alot. Here is what my fly tying looks like today. Here's is my tying station

Here are my supplies

Rabun Guy

Love It

Fly Tying Is not to save money. Is becomes a hobby. I love the pictures of your tying table. Merry Christmas to ALL ......

jigman29

I got into it heavy for years but haven't tied in a while.I gave my stuff to a buddy yesterday since he is disabled for the next few months and cant go.I did love to catch fish on a fly I tied myself.

Glenn

I'm wanting to get back into Fly Tying myself after selling all my material and equipment a few years ago. Actually wanting to sell my recurve collection to help fund my addiction of Fly Tying and Fishing.

EverGreen1231

I'm wanting to get back into Fly Tying myself after selling all my material and equipment a few years ago. Actually wanting to sell my recurve collection to help fund my addiction of Fly Tying and Fishing.

It is rather expensive at the start. :bounce: I have school starting in a few days so my time at work will be drastically effected, meaning the paychecks are going to get smaller. I'll have to be careful as to how much I allow myself to spend on this stuff. All I need to get started is some thread and feathers/hair. I think I can pull those for around $25.00.

centerpin fan

It is rather expensive at the start. :bounce: I have school starting in a few days so my time at work will be drastically effected, meaning the paychecks are going to get smaller. I'll have to be careful as to how much I allow myself to spend on this stuff. All I need to get started is some thread and feathers/hair. I think I can pull those for around $25.00.

I suggest picking ONE fly to start with. This will limit your materials. Pick a proven fly that will catch fish and you will use a lot (a woolly bugger, an Adams, a pheasant tail, etc.)

Lecrevisse

Alpharetta Outfitters

Alpharetta Outfitters had a fly tying day, where you could try tying flies for free. Well, I went and got hooked.
The previous year, I got a fly tying kit for Christmas, but never used it. I have started trying my hand at it, and I think it is a lot of fun. More fun will be catching a fish on something you made.
I will try to post a picture of the best of my first attempts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 221

F.A.R.R.

If someone with tying experience can sit with you in the beginning that's a big help. Also a tying class would be great. The next best thing to being with a person is video's -you can get allot off You Tube.

I would start with a larger pattern. Someone mentioned a Wooly Bugger. That is a great pattern to start with. It's not hard to tie, it catches fish like crazy, and they are a pretty good sized pattern to start learning on. Start with a #8 or #6. This will give you a good sized hook to learn on.

Your biggest to problems in the beginning will be learning about proper thread tension, and how much material to use. Usually in the beginning you will break allot of thread, and have a tendency to use to much material. But don't worry it's all part of a learning process- plus even the ugliest flies still catch fish.

Stick with one or two patterns until you feel confident in tying those.

Good luck and have fun with it.