need a lot of help

I am just starting out fly fishing for trout in northeast georgia and have no clue as to where i can catch any. Im going to school in young harris. if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

msdavis289

You can head down 515 (76) about 40 mins or so to Blue Ridge. Fannin County is the trout fishing capitol of the state. The Toccoa River offers quite a few public access points for wading or floating. I've fished it quite a bit as my wife is from Ellijay.

Jimmy Harris

The Toccoa is good advice. However, the TVA is sluicing water at the dam right now and it's difficult to determine when is a safe time to get in and fish. So, focus on the Toccoa Delayed Harvest section off Aska Rd. above Lake Blue Ridge. But, having said that, it's running at 436 cfs today and that's not a safe wadeable level. Needs to be down around 300 - 350 cfs particularly if you aren't familiar with that stretch of river. Watch the USGS gauge at the "Toccoa at Dial" reporting station. Fishing on the DH is great right now but you don't want to risk wading it a higher water levels. It's one of the trickiest streams in Georgia to wade and high water just magnifies it.

For the tailwater, watch the TVA release schedule but realize that right now it's not accurate.

Last edited:

Lecrevisse

Help

Fly Fishing Georgia is available from Amazon, And it has a great deal of info on the North side of the state. I got it for Christmas, and it is highly recommended. Lots of info on where to fish.
Also, Steve Hudson has a range of books out that have lots of info you can use. They are excellent.
Go to:wwwchattahoocheemedia.com

Excellent books, particularly for beginners. And, if you want to learn how to tie, he is your man.

The mtn man

The creek across from the college use to get stocked if your wanting to practice up on hatchery fish. Not sure if they still stock it. Get your nc fishing license and drive 10 min to hayesville, plenty of decent trout fishing there. Hiawassee river, fires creek, tusquittee creek, drive a little further east you have nantahala headwaters, a little further north you have nantahala lake tail waters, I could go on and on, there are a few streams in hiawassee and blairesville, I think the access is a little bit more limited than nc though.

mattuga

Banned
I went to Young Harris (best 2 years of my life) as well and I learned there isn't a solid fishery as close as one would think. You do have good trout fishing in all directions, the Chattooga and headwaters of the Hooch aren't too far away either. If I could do it all over again I'd master floating the Toccoa as the above mentioned. cklem is right about heading up to NC and tough access in Hiawassee/Blairsville. I do know of a couple good stretches for Brookies within 20 minutes if you are into that kind of fishing send me a PM. Read books, try this one - Fly Fishing Georgia: A No Nonsense Guide to Top Waters. The writer of that book, David Cannon, went to Young Harris as well.

fishndoc

Finding a fly fishing buddy is the best way to get started. Check around your college, I'd just about guarantee there are some serious fly fishermen in the student body up there.
Also, consider attending Trout Unlimited meetings. The programs usually have an educational component, and you'll likely meet plenty of people who will help you out.
I know there is a Blairsville chapter, and if that doesn't suit you, then drive over to Blue Ridge, we meet the second Saturday morning of every month.

stonyb

I want to second a couple things recommended to you.

First, the Toccoa is an easy reach from you and good bet. The sluicing mentioned by Jimmy will not affect wadeability, as they are sluicing at minimum flows (130 cfs) due to an outage of the small generator. So if they say they are generating, it is not wadeable. If they say "no generators" for now they are sluicing but minimal, wadeable amounts. If this sounds confusing, just PM me and I will give you a primer on how to determine flows in the Toccoa Tailwater.

Second, fishndoc is right, TU is a great way to find fishing friends and information. The Blue Ridge Chapter meets 9 a.m. the second Saturday of each month at the Fannin Chamber of Commerce in Blue Ridge; you do not need to be a member to attend; and there is a lot of good info given on fishing reports, fishing techniques, and where to go at different times. Our newsletter is terrific and has been cited around the country for its info for trout fishing... and the Toccoa is our home water. (That's the Toccoa under my puppy in the Avatar)