Backstop Material?

CaneMBA

Hi,

I want to make a backstop for arrows that miss the target. For example switching from field points to broad heads, adjusting the sight, teaching my sons, etc. I was set on using the rubber horse stall mats from Tractor Supply, but I need something more portable and less permanent.

Would a double or triple layer of 1/2" Foam Board insulation stop a carbon arrow? I'm currently drawing 45lbs at 29 1/2" and increasing my draw weight fairly quickly.

I am thinking of using construction adhesive to sandwhich 3 layers of 1/2" foam board. Then attach three 4x8 sheet bundles side by side, so the end product would be 9 sheets total for a backstop 12' wide x 8' tall. If you don't think the foam would stop a stray shot, would loosely hanging a canvas painters tarp a few inches behind the foam make a difference? I've also thought about using a double layer of canvas tarp between each layer of foam. Am I being overly paranoid, or not paranoid enough?

Thank you for any advice!

Mike

kiltman

Foam board - No.

Broadheads - Not indoors without a broadhead rated target. Your going to need a heavy duty backstop!

If your shooting under 50 lbs and the kids also, loose hanging curtain (old piece of carpet) behind should stop most shoots. In my younger days, we had a close hole, net curtain behind the target and it would catch the arrows that missed target. We were only shooting 10-20 lb recuvres.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Hi,

I want to make a backstop for arrows that miss the target. For example switching from field points to broad heads, adjusting the sight, teaching my sons, etc. I was set on using the rubber horse stall mats from Tractor Supply, but I need something more portable and less permanent.

Would a double or triple layer of 1/2" Foam Board insulation stop a carbon arrow? I'm currently drawing 45lbs at 29 1/2" and increasing my draw weight fairly quickly.

I am thinking of using construction adhesive to sandwhich 3 layers of 1/2" foam board. Then attach three 4x8 sheet bundles side by side, so the end product would be 9 sheets total for a backstop 12' wide x 8' tall. If you don't think the foam would stop a stray shot, would loosely hanging a canvas painters tarp a few inches behind the foam make a difference? I've also thought about using a double layer of canvas tarp between each layer of foam. Am I being overly paranoid, or not paranoid enough?

Thank you for any advice!

Mike

Blue closed cell will stop field points. I shot at a backstop made of six 3/4 inch thick sheets bolted together at each corner. 4x8 sheets.

Worst thing was getting the arrows out and you have to move around as the target area get shot up.

In retrospect I should have mounted a regular block target to the foam board and let it just catch the mis shots.

I had it hanging in the back of my boat shed with a old rug behind it(boats removed) and would shoot into it from the the yard. Elite Legend w/overdraw at 90#

Did not shoot broadheads.

CaneMBA

Thanks guys, I think I may end up using a couple sheets of Closed Cell Foam Board (3/4" thick) over the top of a thicker substrate. I'm worried more about a stray shot than damage to an arrow. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a ballistics curtain designed for archery.