Fly fishing the lanier

Hello all. I got a nice christmas gift of new rod and reel. Its a 9wt. I dont own a boat so its bank for me. Is there an area of lake lanier where i can have room to throw and not worry about trees all around me? Or if anyone want to go do some fishing please let me know. Thank you

dertiedawg

Just got a fly kit from Academy. Live in Cumming so I'm trying Lanier too... no boat either... was practicing in the yard and got stuck on some trees... definitely need some open space.

ForsythGlock

I just bought a fly rod/reel combo, and I would also like to fish Lanier. Any recommendations on flies? I will be fishing from a kayak. Thanks for any info!

fishndoc

I just bought a fly rod/reel combo, and I would also like to fish Lanier. Any recommendations on flies? I will be fishing from a kayak. Thanks for any info!

Unless you are already a decent fly caster, I would start with smaller and lightly weighted flies. Casting a fly rod sitting flat and level with water is not easy. A heavy clouser smacking the back of your head, or a hook in your ear is no fun.

ForsythGlock

Unless you are already a decent fly caster, I would start with smaller and lightly weighted flies. Casting a fly rod sitting flat and level with water is not easy. A heavy clouser smacking the back of your head, or a hook in your ear is no fun.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on smaller/lighter flies?

615groundpounder

If you are targeting bass and striper I would say the clouser and the something else are probably the most popularly used and successful flies from most all the fly guys on Lanier. I think these are also 2 of the easier casting flies to target bass and striper with. Not trying to knock Fishndoc but I'm curious as to what type of fly he would suggest.

OK, I just saw the other thread you started and see you are going to target bluegill. Bluegill flies are much smaller. Small poppers, wooly buggers, rubber legged dragon are all good for bream.

fishndoc

Not trying to knock Fishndoc but I'm curious as to what type of fly he would suggest.

For bream, small poppers and rubber legged dragons are all you need. (RLDs will catch anything that swims).

Bead head wolly buggers are not too hard to cast, and work well for bass, bream, and crappie (especially in white for crappie).
Also, I've had good luck with these when the bass are shallow:
http://www.breambugs.com/frazier-fl...ler/upside-down-bream-killer-natural-tan.html
They are not wind resistant and despite being unweighted, sink fast with flouro tippet.

I agree that to get deep and for bigger fish, clousers and coyotes are the ticket, it's just they can be tough to cast for a beginner.

Actually, for a new fly caster fishing from a yak, you just can't beat pounding the banks with small poppers for bream. A couple more weeks of warm weather and it should be starting.

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Small Yellow jacket poppers for bream and fingertip sized Froggies with yellow feathers for bass. Trim the rubber legs down to just enough to have action but not wrap around the hook or body. These two will catch fish on any lake or river in GA.
Sinkers are difficult for the beginner to learn and master. Poppers are easy/peasy. Just remember, a splash is not a hook-up you have to "feel" them.

ForsythGlock

For bream, small poppers and rubber legged dragons are all you need. (RLDs will catch anything that swims).

Bead head wolly buggers are not too hard to cast, and work well for bass, bream, and crappie (especially in white for crappie).
Also, I've had good luck with these when the bass are shallow:
http://www.breambugs.com/frazier-fl...ler/upside-down-bream-killer-natural-tan.html
They are not wind resistant and despite being unweighted, sink fast with flouro tippet.

I agree that to get deep and for bigger fish, clousers and coyotes are the ticket, it's just they can be tough to cast for a beginner.

Actually, for a new fly caster fishing from a yak, you just can't beat pounding the banks with small poppers for bream. A couple more weeks of warm weather and it should be starting.

I ordered some RLD's and other flies from that site. Thanks!