Fly fishing ?

Jwsisson

Fairly new to fly fishing. Looking for ant help.
What type of rig to use below Burford dam?
Is flies? Leader length? Tipet? One or two fly dropper? Any help will be greatly appreciated

centerpin fan

Thanks been doing that catching
Blue gills & some small bass

OK, I missed the "fairly" in the "fairly new". :)

My point is just that moving water adds variables that most newbies are not ready for. IMO, the concept of a "drag free drift" is the most important thing to learn.

Georgia Hard Hunter

THe dam is about going small, zebra midge in black and in red size #20 & #22, brassies #20 & #22 various colors, griffifths knat #20 for a dry, woolly buggers in black and in olive #10 & #12, at times I've done ok with soft hackles.
Leaders 9' or 12', tippet 5x & .6x. WD40's in size #20 or #22

fishndoc

If you find that upstream casting and mending line and avoiding tangles in your slack line are too much to deal with when starting out, just tie on a wooly bugger and cast across and slightly downstream. Then let the current take it down and swing across and downstream of you. When the line is tight, let it dangle in the current a few moments, and then a couple of short strips upstream before casting again.
Stockers won't be able to resist it.

centerpin fan

If you find that upstream casting and mending line and avoiding tangles in your slack line are too much to deal with when starting out, just tie on a wooly bugger and cast across and slightly downstream. Then let the current take it down and swing across and downstream of you. When the line is tight, let it dangle in the current a few moments, and then a couple of short strips upstream before casting again.

Such a fun way to fish! :)