camping peaves

saltysenior

i have camped for 50 yrs....in all levels for one's comfort....i'm not a backpacker,but i also don't own a 57' motor home...last fall at a couple of campsites in GA. [Tallulah r.] for one....we where privileged to have one each side of us people w/ generators...it seemed when one shut of ,the other would crank his up....the weather did not support the use of a gen..... do not these people realize that they effect the quality of the experience of camping for others........

an all another issue is the children.....running loose and for some reason ,screaming all the time..don't they have a pill for that????..

Oldstick

i have camped for 50 yrs....in all levels for one's comfort....i'm not a backpacker,but i also don't own a 57' motor home...last fall at a couple of campsites in GA. [Tallulah r.] for one....we where privileged to have one each side of us people w/ generators...it seemed when one shut of ,the other would crank his up....the weather did not support the use of a gen..... do not these people realize that they effect the quality of the experience of camping for others........

an all another issue is the children.....running loose and for some reason ,screaming all the time..don't they have a pill for that????..

Agree on the generators. But children don't bother us. We took three for many years and in our minds that is what camping is for. To let the kids explore meet other kids and have a good time. They were not allowed to make excessive noise or go into others' sites without invitation however.

Artfuldodger

I've noticed the more primative the campground the less rules they have. I have been camping on a sandbar where the grownups yelled all night. I was wishin' I had my canoe to float down to the next sandbar.

7Mag Hunter

WMAs do have rules for generators and noise, but there always
seems to be "someone" who ignores the rules and acts out....

I avoid ONF and Chatt Natl forest primitive campgrounds as they
are usually full of drunks....I just find a level spot and clean out
a spot for my tent and camp by myself....

Lukikus2

My biggest peave is being 20-30 miles back in a primitive campsite where I set up off to the side to keep to myself, fish all day long and return to find someone set up right next to me. Not that that's bad but it seems like everyone wants to be your best buddy when you whip out the steaks and the whiskey. :banginghe

Just one "can I have a shot?" turns into I want to drink the bottle with you. And then comes the "Well that sure smells good! You got plenty? We didn't know this place was so far from town." :banginghe

I'm a nice guy otherwise. :)

pstrahin

What, how can you watch TV or play on the laptop if you don't run the generator? Camping just aint camping without electricity.

My dad used to take us up on the mountain. We would fish and eat what we caught cooked right there on the fire. When it got dark, you sit around the fire and tell stories and then went to bed.

saltysenior

the tv or laptop doesn't work in most places i go....when i ask why it's running ''because they are watching some movies''....i think some of the problem could be solved by stating ''by law all portable generators must be closer than 6 feet to the camping unit''....they put the gen set closer to me than themselves and run a long cord ..........:huh:

Fletch_W

Banned
Camping and generators shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless you are elderly or otherwise infirmed and need the electricity for that purpose. That's just my stupid opinion.

Bob Shaw

I'm sorry, but, what peeves me is all these people with pet peeves that want to tell me how to camp. I don't have a generator, but, if you don't like em, don't go to public campgrounds, or put-up a "No Generator" sign. A little Honda generator wouldn't bother me, but now, a big noisy contractor generator might be a different story.

Jeff Raines

The folks may need the generators to power their cpaps.

That's why I have to run one.....I hate it too,but it keeps me breathing

greg_n_clayton

WMAs do have rules for generators and noise, but there always
seems to be "someone" who ignores the rules and acts out....

I avoid ONF and Chatt Natl forest primitive campgrounds as they
are usually full of drunks....I just find a level spot and clean out
a spot for my tent and camp by myself....

Exactly what I was thinkin' as I read down the topic. I avoid places like that !! The further away from "anybody" the better. I know spots to go and never even hear anybody,,much less see 'em !!

243Savage

I never understood why tent campers need a generator for anything. When my kid and I go, if he watches a movie or plays games, he does it on his laptop which we can charge in the Jeep if needed.

One of the park campgrounds is across the road from the house. I've walked through there in the evening and literally every hard side camper has a generator running and it's just a steady drone throughout the entire campground. I don't know how the tent campers scattered among them get any sleep at all.

georgia_home

It's all part of getting back to nature. ;)

People are people.

I never understood why tent campers need a generator for anything. When my kid and I go, if he watches a movie or plays games, he does it on his laptop which we can charge in the Jeep if needed.

One of the park campgrounds is across the road from the house. I've walked through there in the evening and literally every hard side camper has a generator running and it's just a steady drone throughout the entire campground. I don't know how the tent campers scattered among them get any sleep at all.

Nastytater

Banned
There's a lost sense of the term "Camping" these days...With that,a new technology camper is amongst us. If they decide to run their generator,then I usually mind my own business and not say anything too them. I enjoy my camp as I brought it and I also understand the value of how they brought theirs...I just prefer to the peace and quiet over the necessities that they brought. They eventually turn them off,or atleast it eventually runs out of Gas. I also enjoy the thought of knowing that if something bad happens,there's a fellow woodsman that would have my back if I needed him or her. All this barking at one another just feeds the P.E.T.A. groups and will do all of us nothing but heartache if we all can't get along. IMO

Mako22

BANNED
I have a US Army diesel generator on a huge trailer that I take camping with me. Its so loud that no one can sleep including myself but I don't care as it runs my tents 20,000 BTU AC unit.

Artfuldodger

I don't like to listen to noises in campgrounds either. That's the good thing about camping from a canoe or boat or backpacking. There are some rivers like Betty's Branch where the camp sites are spread out up & down the river which might be a good option. We were relaxing at Cotton Hill Army Corp. Campground and a worker with a leaf blower came through Saturday morning. I asked the ranger why couldn't they do that during the week? He didn't know of course. I'll bring a radio but not a television. I don't know why people go camping and sit in their camper all the time.

I heard people say humans should not be allowed in "wilderness areas" which is stupid to me.

Ballplayer

Some people just need to go rent a motel room if they're going to watch T.V and play computers and stay cool with an A/C unit and leave the real camping to campers. Then again maybe they're homeless people squatting on public land until something better comes along.

Artfuldodger

Some people just need to go rent a motel room if they're going to watch T.V and play computers and stay cool with an A/C unit and leave the real camping to campers. Then again maybe they're homeless people squatting on public land until something better comes along.

To a lot of people the RV or travel trailer has just taken the place of a motel room. That's ok too if that's your thing. Those folks usually stay in private campgrounds next to the interstate or in the cities. The advantages of the RV vs motel room are; better neighbors & security, usually quieter as no one is talking in the halls & elevators, sleeping in your own bed & linens(bed bugs), cheapers on food, more familiar with surroundings, not having to take in all your belongings inside, & usually less hassle checking in & out.