camera on set

Mtn Hunter

I set a trail camera up on a coyote set and saw a coyote come in and smell around but didnt get caught, Does anybody have an idea how many times sets are visited without an animal getting caught? Is this a common occurrence or did I just do something wrong?

SemperFi

It happens more than we think. Especially with k-9’s. On a fresh set our lures and baits are petty strong. If you can smell it coming out of the hole, imagine what it’s doing to a k9’s nose. Some times they get to worked up to work the set. They’ll usually leave some scat or urine and move along. You could have also left some of your scent there. Either case is not a big deal. Patience is key. It’s impossible not to leave any human scent behind. He’ll be back.

Also your first instinct may be to put more bait and lure there. Don’t do that. They have incredible noses. Trust me they know it’s there. I never apply any more lure or bait to a set. If anything I might put a shot of urine on the backing after a heavy rain like yesterday. Patience is key. I’ve had first, second, and third night catches, but I’ve also had some set for 2 weeks before they connected. Good luck.

1982ace

Good advice semperfi,
We caught a couple yotes on sets that we’re pushing pushing three weeks. Only trouble we have I think was foxes robbing the bait