Managing New Property

Buck Dropper

Hello all.

Haven't posted much in here before, if ever. I am a regular on our Deer Hunting forum, but getting more and more involved in habitat management on our properties.

I have just started a project on one of our 40 acre spots, and am looking for recommendations. I said in the title "new property"; it has been in the family for several generations but has never been legitimately hunted until this past season.

The majority of the property is 6 year old planted pines, with a creek on one side & 20 year old stand of pines on the other, with a swamp in it.

I got the bulldozer in there the first of February and cleared out an old fence row so we can put in about a 1/4 acre food plot. I am currently working on some hinge cutting to direct the deer into this plot.

My main question for you guys to start out is, what kind trees should I plant near the edges of this new plot? We are in Ware County, GA, way down south. I am wanting to get something started as soon as possible so that years from now there is another drawing food source there besides the plot. I have no idea where to begin. Apple, pear, persimmon?

I will get you guys some pictures of the property and what I have done so far.

For now, here is the bird's eye view.

noroadname.jpg

georgia_home

The boys at our place up north swear by pears, and persimmons are always good. Try to check varieties with different fruiting times to spread the attraction.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Persimmons and Keiffer Pears might be good choices. Keiffers drop in Ocotber/November. Keiffers are mostly self fertile (not all pear trees are), but plant 2 or 3 of them to help. I do zero maintenance on our Keiffers and Persimmons, except, I planted them in a plot of perennial clover, which I think would be wise, for you as well. The clover will help feed the deer and feed the trees.

Attachments

• Pear.jpg
    Pear.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 639

Canuck5

The Keiffer pears are the size of softballs and are pretty tasty! They also are a variety that are less susceptible to fire blight, as well. Easy to grow

I know Triple C (north Georgia) has had issues with early frosts nipping the buds off, but you're quite a bit farther south. I'm between Macon and Columbus.

Possum

Banned
I agree with Canuck pears and perennial clover is a great choice. If room allows you could do a couple of several varieties of trees with varying drop times to keep deer drawn into the plot for months. Chestnuts, sawtooth oak, crabapples, persimmons and pears all begin to produce nuts/fruit within several years after planting.

deerbuster

I would get forestry to come in and cut a few firebreaks then run a fire through the older pines. Creates a lot of new browse that would help.

bhouston

Buck Dropper, You have lots of fun to look forward to with your property. Given the state of your 40 acres - you have a ton of options. Is thinning an option..?? If you do a 3rd row or 5th row thinning - you will allow the sun to hit the forest floor and will have instant (free) food for the deer. Instead of pine needles - you will have ragweed, poke, and other natural food sources for deer and other wildlife. Plus - you will be able to see more game with the thinned out woods.

Tree planting is another excellent habitat improvement. Highly recommend pears over apples (not enough chilling hours in Ware for good apple production) and the keiffer is a good one. Hybrids are out there that are self fertile and largely blight resistant. I buy from Hallman Farms in SC each year. They have 5 varieties that drop fruit from August to December - very hardy and productive. Persimmons are top of the list. BE sure to purchase female persimmons - or there are threads on here for grafting that enable you to be sure you have a female that produces fruit. The BIGGEST factor - be sure your trees are planted in full sun. The tree will grow fine with partial sun - BUT IT WONT PRODUCE FRUIT. Sit in your food plot at sunrise and determine where the morning sun first hits your plot (usually facing southeast) and that is wher you plant. Its important for the sun to hit as early as possible to dry the dew off the leaves - helps to avoid bacterial infection. So much more and its all on this site - search "fruit trees" or "pears", etc. and you will see things written by the greats on this site (Forest Grump, Canuck, Triple C, NC Hillbilly and Nic). Of course, the greatest teacher is just doing it. You cant hurt anything by just doing and then learning from good and bad judgments. Good luck and feel free to ask for more - this site is full of givers.

Buck Dropper

Guys, thank you for the comments so far. I really appreciate it and am soaking up all the information you guys are willing to dish out.

Some of you mentioned clover. I am definitely wanting to get a perennial clover plot established in this location. I am working on getting a soil test done right now. Reading a few other threads, it seems the idea would be to plant a cover crop this spring and get the clover going on the fall once the plot has been limed and fertilized to optimal pH? The cover crop being after soil prep is done of course.

As far as fruit, I definitely want to go with pears for sure, still researching persimmons. Just have to get an idea of when I want the fruit to mature and then start looking at types of pears.

Here is an idea of what we were dealing with before. This was an old fence row that was simply wasted space.

beforeresize.jpg

If you notice, a family member had put a tripod up on the edge of it, looking down an old logging road. The wind is dead wrong for this spot 85% of the time but should be just fine from the other end of the plot. Thinking about building a box stand for it.

Got the bulldozer in and cleared it all up.

dozerresize.jpg

Here is the after pic.

afterresize.jpg

I am excited for the potential it holds.

southernman13

It’s more fun than hunting. We have near 500 acres and have made many improvements and memories!! Just wish I had it when I was a young man. Is all good I’m enjoying it now!! We’re soon to build a pond!!

Canuck5

Looks good!!!! I will just add to what Southerman said and that is, if you still have the dozer close by, dig yourself a small pond! On two of you properties, we have a 1+ acre lake on each, but I dug some small 100 square foot ponds, on the edge of some food plots and you can definitely see the deer usage! Triple C and T.P. dug larger ones and it definitely helps the habitat!

Buck Dropper

Looks good!!!! I will just add to what Southerman said and that is, if you still have the dozer close by, dig yourself a small pond! On two of you properties, we have a 1+ acre lake on each, but I dug some small 100 square foot ponds, on the edge of some food plots and you can definitely see the deer usage! Triple C and T.P. dug larger ones and it definitely helps the habitat!

Canuck, funny you mentioned water. There is actually a natural water hole about 30 yards from the edge of this plot. The downside is it is not visible from any potential stand locations. It was majorly overgrown to the point I'm not sure it was very accessible by deer. I got in there and opened it up a little a few days ago. Not sure what the best route would be with it. It isn't very deep, maybe a couple feet out in the middle, so I might consider digging it out a little. I am going to pull trail cam cards in the morning and see if it is getting any use thus far.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Canuck5

Perfect!!!!!!!!

95g atl

Looks good.
Had I known, I would have planted pears on my personal property when i bought it in 2011. They'd be producing lots of fruit by now.
I'd do that now if I was in your shoes.

Buck Dropper

Just wanted to give you guys a little bit of an update. I have really been enjoying things at the farm the past couple of weeks. We have plans to get the new plot harrowed up this coming weekend.

I have decided to plant a spring/summer plot and then perhaps get a perennial clover plot established in the fall. I am getting a soil test done pretty soon, but I have looked into alyceclover, iron & clay peas, sunn hemp, etc. I am open to any suggestions you may have, and bonus points if it can benefit my turkey hunting in a couple months.

Here are a few pictures from the waterhole. It would appear that me cutting back the overgrowth has gotten everything interested in checking it out. I am excited to see how the activity will be at it once the days are getting hot.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg

Canuck5

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!