Drop away rests

Trizey

What kind of drop away or fall away rests do you guys use?
I'm still shooting the old TM Hunter kind and have been thinking of replacing this rest with a new fall away.
I believe some are made specifically for certain kinds of bows and I shoot a Browning Nitro 80.
I've been looking at the Golden Key T.K.O and the NAP Quicktune 2000. Has anyone used these or know anybody that has, if so, did they like either one?

Randy

I just changed from the TM Hunter rest to the Drop Zone drop away rest. To tell you the truth I can not see any difference. Course the TM was stacking arrows so what could I expect? I guess I just did it to "keep up with the Jones.'" I have a good friend that shoots the NAP Quick Tune 2000 and he shoots good with it too.

braintree

rest

I have a BowTech TomKat and this year I replaced my old rest with a Vital Gear drop away rest. It instantly improved my grouping and I even gained about 8fps. You would think that because drop aways have more moving parts that they would be louder but I have noticed no difference. Cost around 70 bucks if I remember correctly.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I'm still loving my QAD Ultra Rest and I would highly recommend it, especially for a hunting rest...:D

cajoz

Trophy Taker

I have the trophy taker and love it. I shot TM hunter before and shot great, but sometimes had problems with broadhead grouping out past 20 yards (fletch clearance). I now am able to shoot 5" vanes with a full helical and broadheads hit dead on out to 50 yards. (that doesn't mean I'd shoot a deer that far though) Turkeys are another story, I don't want or need a pass through with them. :D

Trizey

Randy- I'm kind of like you... The TM on mine is grouping really well.

The only reason I'm looking to change is because my center shot is off. I can't get true alignment with my rest and string. My rest would need to be moved in closer to the shelf wall about 1/2"-3/4" and I can't do that with the TM because of fletching clearance.
I was planning on trying a drop away and turning the cock fletch out, therefore hopefully giving me the clearance I need to get the string aligned with the rest.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm open to suggestions! ::huh:

cajoz

Trizey

How are you figuring center shot? Are you grouping good at all distances? Ideally, all your pins should be in line with each other if the centershot is correct. If your groups move right or left as your distance increases, then your center shot is probably off. If your group stays the same left or right as you move back, then you have found the centershot for your bow and just need to adjust up and down from there. Measurements are not always the best way to find centershot and neither is paper tuning which only tells you what your bow is doing at that exact moment that it tears through the paper. Since you said you're grouping well with a TM hunter and if you're grouping good at all distances, I'd say you're good to go. :)

Trizey

Cajoz- I had a pro shop check the centershot. It was off about 1/2" or maybe a little more and I can't move my current rest any further in. Also, when paper tuning I'm getting a very bad tear.

My pins are lined up the same, but the arrows do drift a little past 20 or so yards. They still group, but are off a few inches.

I'm sure I could leave my setup the way it is because I won't shoot more than 25 yards, but I'm a perfectionist and can't leave it knowing it's off!!

Arrow Flinger

I would have to change the rest if I was 1/2" off center. That is a bunch and will have a negative effect on arrow flight. A drop away would be your best option if you have limited shelf depth and it sounds like you do.

Glenn

Well here is my thoughts on drop aways.....

I had a NAP Quicktune 2000 on my bow and when I first installed it I was shooting super tight groups...I mean real tight!

But then trouble hit last week and it ended up be ing the rest and something to do with the timing on it.

Today I installed a new NAP Quicktune 1000 prong rest stationary rest and I am back shooting tight groups and problem solved.

If you are having major problems with fletching clearence then you may want to try a drop away. If you are shooting good with the TM Hunter rest then I would stick with it.

Less mechanical items on your bow for hunting is good.

Now if you want to buy a slightly used non working drop away I may have one to sell to you real cheap :bounce:

cajoz

Trizey

I know how you feel about being a perfectionist. A long time ago I noticed my arrows wipping about ten yards down range. I talked to the nearest dealer about it. He said, "are you hitting where you're aiming?" "yes" I said. He told me, "Then don't worry about it."

Well I did worry about it. What if I had to shoot through a narrow opening and the arrow hit a branch before the deer? That is why little by little I started buying my own equipment and learning as much as I could about doing my own work. I didn't want to depend on chance or luck.

If you are truly a half inch off centershot (not the bow's center) then something else is wrong and changing rests will only mask the real problem. Your axles could be bent, the bushings could be worm, the limbs could be twisted, a number of things could be wrong.

Take your bow, shoot your best group at a dot at 20 yards. Mark the center of the group with an arrow or leave the center-most arrow in the target. Tie a string with a weight or a plumb bob to that arrow and let it hang in a straight line. Step back to 30 yards and aim at the same dot with your 20 yard pin and shoot another group. The shots will be lower, but left or right of the string. Adjust your rest until the group at 30 is directly below the first group. This will be the best center shot for your particular bow.

If this still cannot be achieved, I believe something else is wrong. However, there is always the rare case of a lemon. But try to rule every thing out.

Also, spray some foot powder on your vanes and shoot to make sure fletch clearance is not a problem. (a lot of times it is the root of all evil) :D

Muzzy Zero Effect

Is what I have on my High Country bow and I love it. Haven't had any problems with it so far after 2 years with it. I like it a lot because it has the "talon" that keeps the arrow from falling off of the rest area when moving the bow around.

reylamb

I love the Muzzy as well as a hunting rest, but there is nothing wrong with a simple TM syle rest either.

Cajoz gave you some great advice on group tuning for your center shot. That is the method I use after paper tuning. Give er a whirl and see what happens.

matthewsman

TM drop-away

Hey Trizey,if you liked your tm hunter they make a good drop-away too.What kind of pro shop checked that for you,(the center-shot)then didn't correct it for you?If you went just before season started try it again ,they may have slowed down enough to spend a little time with you.Good luck with it,and give the 20,30,40 yard with the 20 pin a shot,it's sound advice.

Mrbowdeadly

Shot the NAP 2000 and loved it. Couldn't use it on my new bow because the new bow doesn't have a bus bar and cable slide, so it is not compatible. I will sell it to you for $30 shipped to your door.

Shot the trophy taker that came on my new (used) bow. I liked it, it was accurate, but noisy IMHO.

Bought the trophy ridge drop zone and been shooting that. Very accurate and quiet. I really like it. So far so good.

I worried about the moving parts and size of the muzzy, but I have heard good things about it.

Hope that helps.
MBD