How would you fish this pond?

R3AM3R

Alright, so I am trying to get me some bass. I do not have a boat so Ill be doing this from shore.

Here is the pond:

POND3.6.gif

Lake Facts... (Contour Intervals: 2 feet)

Surface Acres: 20 Acres Average Depth: 6 ft.

Constructed: 1966 Training Area: A-16

Boat Ramps: Yes (1) Perimeter Road: Yes

Fish Attractors: Yes

Route to Pond...

GA Hwy 144, south on F.S. Road 48, east on loop road to Holbrook Campground; or F.S. Road 47, west on F.S. Road 48, west on loop road to Holbrook Campground.

Fish Species...

Stocked: Largemouth Bass, Bluegill Sunfish, Redear Sunfish, Channel Catfish

Stocked (Prohibited from harvesting): Grass Carp (stocked for aquatic weed control)

Available, But Not Stocked: Black Crappie, Warmouth

Management...

Liming, Fertilizing, Aquatic Weed Control, Fish Attractors, Water Quality Monitoring, Fish Population Sampling, Fish Stocking, Dam Maintenance and Repair

Not a whole lot of structure, it is mostly smooth bottomed. There is a deep trench though. Also, there are some X-mas trees in the water about 30yds from shore, about where the 7' marker is on the depth chart.

I have caught lots of bluegill out of there as well as some cats. But havent been able to hook into any of the bass.

I do not know much about bass fishing, although I have been reading up like crazy this week as well as spending all my free time at other ponds on ft stewart.

I caught a few small bass on t-rigged worms but that is about it.

What would you do?

Thanks,
Randy

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
This is Holbrook Pond correct? I fished it alot during 89-91 while stationed there...always had alot of luck throwing a Rapala floating minnow black/gold and black silver. Throw it out let it sit till the rings are gone then twitch the rod and reel about3 times...stop let it float to the surface than repeat...the bass would usally hit on the second reel. Also had good luck with t-rigged zoom worms in motor oil, redbug, and junebug colors.

There is some great fishing in the ponds on Stewart....let me know if you have any more questions.

massafibassa

I have been wanting to go there "Fort Stewart" and do some bass fishing. My advice would be to target any structure , with plastics for starters . Maybe top water baits early and late this time of year .

Chris S.

A.M..............floating rapala,buzzbait around edges and 2-4ft flats,maybe even a jitterbug if it is still dark or rainy. P.M.dont know about the deep cranks due to the rock but a popper or shallow crank or spinnerbait paralled down the riprap should get you a few fish.I would T- rig or c- rig the snot out of the trench with a big worm right now most def..

R3AM3R

Well thanks for the advice guys, ran a rapala original along the trench to start and got into a couple 1-2.25lb LM's then switched to some zoom trick worms t-rigged along where they sunk the xmas trees and was able to hook into a 2.68lb LM.

I will be going back out here shortly to give it another go after stopping at the PX. Gonna see if they have any good crank baits.

Pond 27 out here on post is the go to place I hear. Can't even keep em if they are under 24" with a lot of 10lb plus being pulled everyday. But that area is closed now.

thanks again.

Lawnmowerman

Fort Stewart

I've fished that lake! :cool:
I was there when they sunk a boat load of trees just out from the earthen pier, as marked, for fish attractor.
I walked the dam, before it makes the curve, and caught several bass straight out along the 9' line, perpendicular to the dam. Worm on the bottom, preferrably a Zoom 6" U-tail.

SOUTHERNMASON

Holbrook is heavly over fishined and a waste of time

arkie1

take a fly rod and have a blast with the small bream and shiners. then put a shiner on a circle hook with no float and no weight and wait untill your drag sings. that is how i have caught alot of "big" fish at holbrook. The biggest was.... only 13 lbs!!! love that pond but couldn't catch a catfish to save my life there.

If you use some Zoom watermellon trick or finess worms with a size 2/0 or 3/0 hook, dont use a sinker at all, with a slow gentle presentation and something will bump it...thats what we use at Ft Gordon to catch the Big Uns Good Luck!!

Latest posts