How close do you hunt to houses?

Dr. Strangelove

miles58 said:
The live deer in my avatar was 50 yards from the cabin, and had I seen it when I took the picture it would have died.

There's not a live deer in your avatar, unless it's hanging with the rest.:)

Wait... one of the ones with it's feet on the ground is live? Kinky!

There's not a live deer in your avatar, unless it's hanging with the rest.:)

Wait... one of the ones with it's feet on the ground is live? Kinky!

Actually, there's a doe in the background about midways of the pic. I've seen the pic blown up before.

To answer the question, I would have no problem hunting very close to a house with any weapon. I would just be super careful in what direction I shot. The closest I've ever actually hunted to a house was about 100 yards with a bow. I could see into the back yard.

obsession

Banned
ive killed 'em from inside the house before. we actually have 2 bedrooms upstairs on opposite sides of the house that are only used for hunting. one overlooks the oaks, and the other overlooks the field.

BigBrett

At the home place, one of the best stands is on the front porch.

yes sir, the lil bucks in my avatar. one was shot 50 yards south from my great grandfolks backdoor. while the other was sleeping 75 yards to the north. total 125 yards from buck to buck....one proud morning for this redneck.:biggrin2:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This isn't regulated by game laws, if there are restrictions it is as someone stated above a county or city ordinance.

Clarke County passed an ordinance several years ago that makes it almost impossible to hunt legally with a center-fire rifle on tracts smaller than 100 acres.

akiahunter

i live on one acre in a neighborhood with a lock-on stand on a tree out back by the shed. last bow season had 6 deer under me one mornin while i waved bye to my kids gettin on the bus in the driveway.:cool:

bublewis

This isn't regulated by game laws, if there are restrictions it is as someone stated above a county or city ordinance.

Clarke County passed an ordinance several years ago that makes it almost impossible to hunt legally with a center-fire rifle on tracts smaller than 100 acres.

Break out the 22, 12ga and muzzleloader!:cool:
Oh yeah, and the bow and crossbows.:)

well...early mornin' pourin' a cup of coffee look out the back window and a big ole doe eatin' at the tree line...well the Hoyt will take care of the rest from the back porch....best sausage ever!

lungbuster123

I was sitting in a stand one morning last season with a house about 60 yards to my left and a house about 70 yards to my right and I missed two does that were working their way up the wood line between the house's. Of coure being that close to house's I was bow hunting.

Zeus01

Last year, I got out of the shower, and while I was drying off, I could see through the shades that there was a buck chaseing does in the field behind the house. So I told him if he would stay there long enough for me to get dressed, I would give him a shot. I had already made a yardage chart with my survey transit so I would know the range to any point in the 80 acre field. I took him at 450 yards.

308-MIKE

one of my favorite stories, as relayed by a now ex-girlfriend. she went to visit her brother and sister-in-law in brent ala. she was talking to her sister-in-law in the kitchen, when the sil excused herself and went upstairs. a minute later the ex heard a loud gun blast. a second later the sil came down stairs and called her husband. the ex asked what was going on. the whole time she was talking with the sil, the sil was watching a buck walking through the back yard. when she excused herself, she went upstairs opened the bedroom window and dropped the buck with her .243. calmly came down and called her husband to come get the deer. classic, if she only had a sister!!

scteenhunter13

we only own 5 acres of woods behind my house. i have a few places to hunt, closest being beside our air conditioning thing, i made a blind and used the air conditioning thing to hold my blind up. my step brother were sitting in it this past deer season, i killed two does and he killed another. heres the picture of the deer. infront of the blind is kind of a ridge with oak trees, the deer come right in our backyard and eat the acorns. we shot the 3 does in december
Photobucket

kmaxwell3

I like what I am reading. I thought maybe I was the only one hunting that close to houses. By the way the buck in my avatar pic is a 9pt I killed with my 7 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son in the blind with me in my friends back yard. I only hunt with a crossbow there.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I know deer will frequent areas close to urbanization. But when I'm hunting, I don't even want to be able to see a house.

coondog96

had an uncle one time who placed an old metal folding chair on the roof of his house right beside the chimney stradling the peak of his roof and hunted a whole seaon right there and killed several deer one being a prettty nice 8 ponter.would climb an old step ladder from his rear deck to access his roof top deer stand.::ke: