Apologetics

1gr8bldr

My friend I've seen enough debates to tell you that you are sadly mistaken on this.
With all due respect, you see it from your eyes and your assumed truths. If seen by a neutral party, if that were possible, they could give an unbiased opinion. Believers bring assumed truths to the table. Atheist do not. Let me think of an example, smaller than is there a God and did God create the world.... Believers assume a higher moral character. Why? Because the bible says so? Because God must be good? Maybe I have made a point, maybe not. I don't ever expect my God to prove himself, That would negate faith.

stringmusic

With all due respect, you see it from your eyes and your assumed truths.
So does every human on earth.

Believers bring assumed truths to the table. Atheist do not.
I believe you might need to rethink this statement. An Atheist or Agnostic or anyone else bring assumed truths to the table.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

So does every human on earth.

I believe you might need to rethink this statement. An Atheist or Agnostic or anyone else bring assumed truths to the table.
What would an atheist assume in a debate?

stringmusic

Thank ya kind sir:cheers:

I know Ravi has said before that he doesn't care much for the debate setting because it turns into mud slinging, and the only thing accomplished is both parties lose ground.

And there are smaller bits of that lengthy video on YouTube I think. It's a very interesting debate.

1gr8bldr

What wouldn't he?
It would seem to me that it would be up to the one making a claim to prove the claim. Since Atheism is not an organized religion that attempts to grow it's followers then I would consider it the Christians who need to prove the case. Atheism does not say there is no God. They say there is no proof of God. Christians apologetics say God does exist. I believe If God wanted to prove himself, he would without the help of smooth talking debaters.

stringmusic

It would seem to me that it would be up to the one making a claim to prove the claim. Since Atheism is not an organized religion that attempts to grow it's followers then I would consider it the Christians who need to prove the case. Atheism does not say there is no God. They say there is no proof of God. Christians apologetics say God does exist. I believe If God wanted to prove himself, he would without the help of smooth talking debaters.

Any claim made on either side of the debate would have assumed truths. If you've ever listen to a debate between an Christian apologist and an Atheist, there are many claims on both sides.

ambush80

Any claim made on either side of the debate would have assumed truths. If you've ever listen to a debate between an Christian apologist and an Atheist, there are many claims on both sides.

This one got me into Sam Harris:

The thing I don't like about debates is that they come in with things they want to say and don't really spend time debating each others points.

This one is good, too. I love Hitchens' style foiled with D'souza's evangelist style.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
:fine:

Aitheist don't presuppose it's true that God does not exist?
Never mind.
facepalm:
Not in all cases, no.
Many were once believers in a god. They have come to their current thoughts over years of researching their own former religion.

660griz

Not in all cases, no.
Many were once believers in a god. They have come to their current thoughts over years of researching their own former religion.

True. I was a bible thumping southern Baptist that went to church 3 times a week and vacation bible school. Then, I reached the age or reason.