Horse Shoe Bend Military Park

Gary Mercer

ON a recent Sunday outing, we wandered off the main roads coming back from Lake Martin to Peachtree City. and found a really great story.
Horse Shoe Bend is a great little park along the banks of the Tallapoosa River.
It is the location of a great battle between the Creek Nation and the the US Army led by Andrew Jackson. (I think this victory launched his career. But I am not an authority on Jackson or the Creeks.)
There is a very interesting display/museum on site, and the cost is a donation to help fund the park. But it is free if you can't afford to donate.
This is a great place to take the family for a day trip, and is well worth the drive.
The Park is located near Daviston, AL, and lies between Dadeville and Lineville.
As an aside, the river there runs clear and deep, and has a bunch of blowdowns, logs, rock, and bars.
I would love to launch my electric boat in that river and see what I could catch. That stretch of river runs from Lake Wedowee down to Lake Martin, and should be full of just about any fish we go after down here in the South.
That is some fishy looking water, and there is a public ramp right across the bridge from the park.
If any of you guys have been there, OR Fished there. Let us know.
Some of you history buffs should be able to fill in the details on the history of this place.

westcobbdog

I think Horse Shoe Bend is where Jackson had a big victory over some murderous Indians that had slaughtered a group of 150 people or so at ft Mims, Al., but i could be wrong! I would pay to see Old Hickory interact politically with some of today's snowflakes...he had to of been heck on the bad Injuns.