Skunks

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not sure

Not sure , but I caught this one a few days ago , I just released it , don't see many around where I'm at !

Attachments

• IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,464

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They are probably classified as furbearers.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
So I got to ask. How do you release a skunk.

If it`s in a box trap, just slowly ease up to the box with an old blanket or bed sheet. Don``t get in no hurry or make any sudden moves. Take your time and drape the sheet over the entire trap. Then you can carefully pick up the trap, set in the bed of your truck, and ride off with it.When you go to open the trap, just expose the trapdoor and open it. Then get in the clear till it moseys out.

If it`s in a leghold, you will know when you get close, because it will have already declared war and unleashed chemical weapons.

Hillbilly stalker

Skunks AKA : polecats, are like possums and coons. They are nest raiders and will really work on your turkey nests. Fewer people hunt them, so they kinda get outa check because they are no natural predators for polecats that I know of.

Philbow

Skunks AKA : polecats, are like possums and coons. They are nest raiders and will really work on your turkey nests. Fewer people hunt them, so they kinda get outa check because they are no natural predators for polecats that I know of.

I've read great horned owls will kill and eat skunks.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

They do, and young ones are subject to various birds of prey, since none of them have a sense of smell.

Rabies will hit them too.

Killer Kyle

I did a pretty thorough presentation on striped skunks for a Wildlife Damage class, and can verify. Possibly a skunks greatest predator is the Great Horned Owl.
I found a dead skunk in a food plot this past February. I guess skunks were on the move during mating season, and a bird of prey caught it in the open field. It's fur was terribly roughed up, and it had wounds along the back of it's neck. I couldn't tell if an owl did it or another bird, but it was definitely a bird. The wounds on the neck almost seemed superficial as there was very little blood, and I wondered if an owl crushed it with it's talon grip and squeezed it to death. Owls have incredible grip strength with those big feet.

B

BornNRaised

Owls never skip "leg day".

Attachments

• pri_37808635.jpg
    pri_37808635.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 593

Timbo85

When I was a youngin I had 3 walker and blue tick cross hounds , litter mates , 2 of them were pretty solid coon dogs but the other would run past 3 coons on the ground to get to a skunk , he was the best lookin of the 3 and had the best mouth out of em but he was a natural skunk predator, I got used to the smell and I didn't even bother me , I think about him every time I smell 1 run over on the road

Capt Quirk

I can honestly say, I have never seen a live skunk in the wild. Seen a lot of road killed, but never live. I was given one a few years ago, because I wanted to try making a cap out of it. As I was skinning it, I kept thinking that the meat was looking pretty good. Never got the nerve to try it though.