Expedition to the Remote Lands of the Backyard

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Headed down to the river behind the house for a couple hours yesterday morning to break in a new 7-weight that I recently acquired. Set it up with an old English-made Cortland multiplier that I had lying around the house.

The river was a bit high and stained from recent afternoon thunderstorms, but the fish were still hitting-at least the little ones.

river1.jpg

I didn't catch anything huge, but landed about 25 smallmouth, a couple of which had enough size to make a good account of themselves in the current.

smallmouth1.jpg

smallmouth2.jpg

smallmouth3.jpg

smallmouth4.jpg

smallmouth5.jpg

Also caught a few rock bass and a few bull redbreasts. Those redbreasts are some colorful fish, and can put a satisfying bend in a fly rod and make the line sing.

rockbass.jpg

redbreast1.jpg

redbreast2.jpg

redbreast3.jpg

I was beginning to get hot, and wishing that I had brought a bottle of water. About then, I felt something bump against my leg, and saw that the river gods had sent me a gift. I was rude and refused it. :)

rivergift.jpg

Quite an enjoyable morning, until eventually the sky grayed, raindrops started to fall, and thunder rumbled. So I waded out of the river and began the long perilous journey of several hundred yards back to the house.

river2.jpg

Fin.

Bream Pole

You live a horrible life. Can't imagine

ripplerider

Is that public water Hillbilly? I have my N.C. fishing license now I'm looking for destinations north of me. I'm primarily a trout fisherman but I love me some smallmouths too a friend and I caught 3 nice ones on Lake Blue Ridge Thursday along with 5 spots and a 4 lb. walleye. The smallies went back in the lake but the rest are going to provide a Fathers Day meal for my family.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
What a way to spend a couple of hours, despite the grueling journey...... :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is that public water Hillbilly? I have my N.C. fishing license now I'm looking for destinations north of me. I'm primarily a trout fisherman but I love me some smallmouths too a friend and I caught 3 nice ones on Lake Blue Ridge Thursday along with 5 spots and a 4 lb. walleye. The smallies went back in the lake but the rest are going to provide a Fathers Day meal for my family.

Not public land per se, but you can fish 75% of the river with no problems. Lots of road right-of-way access.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Very cool !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to see your cooking setup on your back porch in that first pic but it's too far

:rofl: That's definitely not mine. That's the purty people that live up there. They came from somewhere up north.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Your reel is on backwards.::ke:

:bounce: It's 'posed to be that way, idjit. That limey-made reel is weird, because it has a roller at the bottom of the arbor that the line goes behind instead of over. With the multiplier gears, it'll suck up line like a tractor beam, though.

I don't know why, but I can't stand left-hand reel on a fly rod. I can't stand right-hand reel on a spinning rod. :huh:

I think I've found the perfect combo for smallmouth fishing, love that TFO. It'll fling amazing amounts of line out with ease. It has enough backbone to fling heavy streamers, but is light enough for a foot-long bass or big redbreast to put a satisfying bend in it.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Love the pics NCH!!! Had to be fun!