What is this stuff and how do I kill it

BuckNasty83

Can anyone tell me what this is and what to kill it with? I've got patches in random spots within my powerplant plot. About to order some cleth/dakota from keystone, but this is a broadleaf? Which would need Butyrac?

Attachments

• 20170614_173131-1024x1820.jpg
    20170614_173131-1024x1820.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 747
  • 20170614_173221-1024x1820.jpg
    20170614_173221-1024x1820.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Clethodim (plus crop oil) is used to kill grass. A grass selective herbicide. The weed you have is a broadleaf weed and clethodim will not kill it.

I am not sure what seed is in powerplant, so you would need to be very careful in the broad leaf herbicide that you choose.

Butyrac 200 (2,4d-b) is typically used to kill broad leaf weeds in a clover plot.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And can someone explain the difference in a 2e vs 2ec?

More than likely, just the difference in "brands", since there is many manufacturers out there making clethodim.

Forest Grump

Is that safe on beans, peas, sunflower, and sunn hemp

Sunflower & soybeans No. it will damage or kill them.

Cowpeas yes, at label rate, in water only no surfactant.

Sunn hemp I do not know for sure, but I would definitely test a small spot before spraying a whole plot.

On all but sunflower, Basagran is an option. It would kill sunflowers but is safe over the others.

The problem with a mix like that is that you have trouble finding a herbicide that is safe over everything & effective. I had missed the part about what you had planted. If your plants are pretty dense they will soon canopy & shade out carpetweed, if it doesn't smother them 1st while they are young.

Mikeg135

I planted a legume mix of cow peas, soybean, and sun hemp this Spring. I tried a test patch I'd 24d-b at .5oz/gallon. It killed the cow peas but did not effect the soybeans and sunn hemp.

The label states safe for peanuts, alfalfa, and soybeans.

Forest Grump

I planted a legume mix of cow peas, soybean, and sun hemp this Spring. I tried a test patch I'd 24d-b at .5oz/gallon. It killed the cow peas but did not effect the soybeans and sunn hemp.

The label states safe for peanuts, alfalfa, and soybeans.

Label:
"Apply to soybeans grown in the Southern states only from 7 to 10 days before bloom up to mid- bloom when soybeans are about knee-high and growing actively. Soybean foliage should be dark green indicating that nodulation and nitrifi- cation are under way. Postemergence broad- cast application at these rates prior to or after this application timing is not recommended as reduced flowering and yield may result. DO NOT APPLY BUTYRAC® 200 postemergence broadcast to soybeans grown in the midwest states of IA, IL, IN, KS, KY (except the Purchase area), MO (except the MO bootheel), MI, MN, NE, ND, OH, SD and WI." (Rate is 0.7-0.9 pints/ac in water only, no additives).

Peanuts are quite tolerant of it. Beans need to be old enough he'd miss the window on carpetweed & already have a canopy to shade it out. Even then, you can get twisting of stems & leaf damage. If the beans are stressed they can be more heavily damaged. In Alfalfa crop damage will occur but it will usually grow out of it. Seedling alfalfa is more tolerant than established fields.

I'd just use something safer like Basagran & sacrifice the sunflowers. My personal preference is using RR beans +/- a pre like Prowl or Warrant. Have used 2-4 D B a good bit on peanuts as they have no RR version.