Spot spray Horse Nettle

C.J.

what is the best chemical to spot spray horsenettle between sunflower rows. I don't think Prowl or Beyond will kill it. I will have hoods on the spray tips to keep it off the sunflowers.

SakoL61R

Been dealing with carolina horsenettle for several years and have just about won the battle. Down to minimal spot spraying.
GrazonNext is my chemical of choice. Kills the foilage and, MOST importantly, the rhizomes. It doesn't come back.

C.J.

will scraping the actual plant with a hoe and leaving the root system kill it or will the roots generate a new plant? most of it is in shade under my sunflower plants.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I often have the pleasure of spot spraying horse nettle and kill it pretty good with a stiff dose of gly.

Forest Grump

will scraping the actual plant with a hoe and leaving the root system kill it or will the roots generate a new plant? most of it is in shade under my sunflower plants.

Cultivation of any sort will worsen your problem. Anywhere an implement cuts the root, the fragment will grow into a new plant. And the roots can go 20 feet deep (further laterally). Either roundup or triclopyr (or both) can be effective if carefully applied, although you should expect to have to do multiple applications to eliminate it.

Horsenettle is one of my worst weeds in perennial clover plots, often ultimately resulting in having to kill the existing crop & replant in order to remove it. Using a soil active herbicide like Grazon would not only kill your crop this year, but probably the next as well.

With either glyphosate or triclopyr, if you get it on the stem of your crop it will kill it, so you will have to be careful, or wait until the sunflowers are mature, at which time the Carolina horse nettle will be pushing nutrients into the roots so you may get better translocation of your herbicide.

1gr8bldr

I have hit mine with a weed wiper two weeks in a row. Might hit it again soon.

C.J.

so the sunflowers are dead now and horse nettle is still an issue along with pig weed and some other vines. What is the best think to spray to kill all of this and not have any residual in my soil. I plant to plant fescue or something similar later in the year so i dont have a dirt field until april.

KKeene

Surmount worked really good in my pasture. I had them and pigweed it killed everything out there but my grass. The label is online, I would read it. This late in the growing season you may be wasting your money to spray anything.