Intelligence

WaltL1

The whole point of this thread.....

If you found yourself on a far distant planet with rocks everywhere, you might come to the conclusion that these rocks are just here, the result of random cosmology.

But if you walk around a bit, and came across rocks that spelled out "hello (insert name here), welcome, I'm glad you could make it here and I hope you enjoy your time". One would have to assume those rocks where placed by something with intelligence.

Human beings have intellegence, why would you not assume humans where created by something intelligent?

Does intelligence come from non intelligence?
If you found yourself on a far distant planet with rocks everywhere, you might come to the conclusion that these rocks are just here, the result of random cosmology.
The rocks are "just here" wouldn't be my first conclusion. We have some knowledge of how rocks are formed/found on earth so I would probably apply that first to this far distant planet I find myself on.
But if you walk around a bit, and came across rocks that spelled out "hello (insert name here), welcome, I'm glad you could make it here and I hope you enjoy your time". One would have to assume those rocks where placed by something with intelligence.
Sure the message leaver possessed the intelligence to recognize communication, use language, the alphabet etc. Not to mention the message was left for me specifically and was written in my language.
Human beings have intellegence, why would you not assume humans where created by something intelligent?
It probably is a safe assumption. I'm sure everyone's parents posses/posessed some sort of intelligence.
Does intelligence come from non intelligence?
What is non intelligence?
Lacks the physical capability to be intelligent?
Crosses the road without looking both ways?
Cant do algebra?

stringmusic

To Be Determined
The rocks are "just here" wouldn't be my first conclusion. We have some knowledge of how rocks are formed/found on earth so I would probably apply that first to this far distant planet I find myself on.

Sure the message leaver possessed the intelligence to recognize communication, use language, the alphabet etc. Not to mention the message was left for me specifically and was written in my language.

It probably is a safe assumption. I'm sure everyone's parents posses/posessed some sort of intelligence.

What is non intelligence?
Lacks the physical capability to be intelligent?
Crosses the road without looking both ways?
Cant do algebra?

non intelligence would be something that has no intelligence nor the capability to become intelligent. A rock, for example, or, space goo from which we supposedly evolved from.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
Yea. Where intelligence always starts. Ignorance.

Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge. I'm speaking more along the lines of the beginning of intelligence.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
How long did it take for the first human to be intelligent enough to be able to spell out your welcome sentence above?
Was he/she given that intelligence millions of years prior or did that intelligence need millions of years to evolve from trial and error/survival of the fittest?

I'm not sure what your getting at.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm not sure what your getting at.

When did humans get their intelligence?
5000 years ago?
10,000?
100,000?
Longer?

Were we always capable of the level of intelligence that we have now?

stringmusic

To Be Determined
When did humans get their intelligence?
5000 years ago?
10,000?
100,000?
Longer?
When we were created.

Were we always capable of the level of intelligence that we have now?
I would say so. Although I'm sure there have been some evolutionary advancements of the brain but how much I don't know.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
When we were created.

I would say so. Although I'm sure there have been some evolutionary advancements of the brain but how much I don't know.

When were we created? How many years ago roughly...ballpark it.

So, is it your opinion that the earliest humans were capable of understanding and creating most everything that current humans can?

atlashunter

There must be some confusion I am talking about the biological definition of mutation.

Walt provided the definition. Do you now acknowledge that mutations have been observed?