5.4 lbs Brisket, what's my smoke time?

PappyHoel

What's the smoke time on a 5.4 lbs brisket @ 225-235 degrees? It's not real thick and I cut it in half. It's bathing in the rub now. I plan to put it on sometime tomorrow depending on cook time.

Capt Quirk

I'm not fancy enough to go by temp or time. I go until it looks done, and feels tender enough. Big help I know. I usually go about 6 to 8 hours though.

PappyHoel

ky55

Pappy,
I think I'd give myself at least 6-7 hours or so cooking time.
If it gets done a little before dinner time just wrap it up and let it rest.
And I'd for sure do what Capt Q said about trusting the tenderness with the thermometer probe rather than depending on time alone.
Good luck!!

Capt Quirk

And I'd for sure do what Capt Q said about trusting the tenderness with the thermometer probe rather than depending on time alone.
Good luck!!
What is this ther-mometer probe you speak of? I just poke it wit my finger :)

ky55

Well,
I'm not lucky enough to have a calibrated finger!!

:huh:

ky55

Pappy,
how did the brisket turn out??

specialk

google ''themapen'' ......very accurate and instant readings.....great tool......

Snookpimpin

i would smoke it at 220 for about 4 hours then wrap it in foil add some sauce/beer/vin/apple juice/ put it back on for a couple hours then just pull it off 30 mins before u want to eat let it cool unwrap it slice and enjoy.

PappyHoel

Pappy,
how did the brisket turn out??

It was fantastic and when the wife / kids clean their plate you know it was good. Cook time was about 4.5 hours and the temp was between 230-240. We only ate half and will probably make pulled beef samiches with the rest. I used pineapple juice in the bowl and only opened it once to flip and sprinkle with juice. Let it set for an hour before cutting. I may try to wrap it next time and I probably could have taken it out about 30 min sooner. Internal temp was 195

Big7

The Oracle
It was fantastic and when the wife / kids clean their plate you know it was good. Cook time was about 4.5 hours and the temp was between 230-240. We only ate half and will probably make pulled beef samiches with the rest. I used pineapple juice in the bowl and only opened it once to flip and sprinkle with juice. Let it set for an hour before cutting. I may try to wrap it next time and I probably could have taken it out about 30 min sooner. Internal temp was 195

Sounds like a plan. :cool:
Happy for you it turned out good.

Despite popular belief you can easily over cook
Brisket real quick.

Sure they have fat on one side but not much
marbling.

Try a wet brine next time. You will love it!
tender, juicy and flavorful.

Look up my threads on "Brining" or look HERE:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=brinin...-14&sk=&cvid=08F069770B84470FBEA8BB6C7C61DED1

This works on anything walking, flying or swimming. ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can usually cook a whole packer in 6 hours or less. I always wrap at about 170* with about half a cup of beef broth. Even more so with a flat. Mine always turn out edible so far.

PappyHoel

Good advice y'all. I'm going to try some wings and maybe my wild turkey breast this weekend.