I need food stamps

matthewsman

Has anyone heard of the "welfare"hole on Juliette?Whatever it is,it's supposed to be a super place for Stripers in late Jan and Feb........Is it the warm water discharge?I'm lost and need to be shown the way...donnie

frankwright

I have never heard it called that but this is from the DNR Website...WRD stocks striped bass annually at relatively low rates due to the limited food supply. An abundance of cool water during the summer has resulted in excellent survival and growth and a strong fishery has developed for Juliette stripers. Many striped bass anglers concentrate their efforts near the pump discharge located just above the dam. This is an excellent place to catch stripers when GPC pumps water into the reservoir from the Ocmulgee River. Other successful methods include trolling creek channels during the cooler months, and then moving to the cooler depths located in the main lake during summer. Drifting or fishing on the bottom with live or cut shad has produced some the largest catches in recent years. Anglers caught several striped bass around 35 lb. over the past four years and Juliette's reputation as a trophy striper lake continues to grow. The average weight for striped bass is just less than 5 lb. WRD anticipates increased stocking rates in the coming year in conjunction with an expanding blueback herring population.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
I have not been to Juliette before, but I think the power plant and discharge pump are on the East side of the lake. I would think it would be hard to miss. With a temp. gauge you should be able to find the area out in front of power plant.

The pump back from the river is probably best in the summer when the stripers are looking for cooler water.

btt202

turn on the dirt road at the dove fields in rum creek and the welfair hole is on a dead end rd. up int thr back waters!!!!

Randy

btt202 I thoought that was what they call the "welfare hole" but I did not know it was good for stripers. I could see it being good in the spring when the stripers start trying to move up the creeks but not winter time? I catch most of my stipers in front of the plant or just across the lake from teh plant at the mouth of that creek where teh small island is.

matthewsman

thanks

to clarify,I was told it was a warm water discharge?supposed to bring in the bait,bringing in the stripers.....big'uns too.Said it was like they were givin' away the fish,hence the name....

Randy

That's a different "welfare hole" than the one I know of. The place I fish is right in front of the plant where the discharge is but never heard it called the "welfare hole." The place we were talking about is what I have heard called the welfare hole. We call it that because that is where everybody that does not have a boat (read those on welfare) fish from the bank. Obviously not the same place.

Greenwing

I've fished the lake for years and am still confused on the location. I know where the plant is, along with the area. I know there is an area in front of the plant where there is a large concrete bank. I know where the river discharge is, and unless you can cast a mile it can be very difficult to reach. Would this be the location you are talking about, a.ka. the welfare hole? Also, I have a few hot spots if you want you're intersted as i know from experince that it is a hard lake to fish. Also, i once heard a guy tell me about a location called "the hole" where he would tear up the crappie. Anyone know of this location? Let's keep this thread going!

jay sullivent

Randy, striper move up the creeks in the winter time also. they say because the shallow water warms quicker, but i'm not exactly sure why. the hybrid and striper me and the other club members are catching up the creeks at clarks hill already have eggs in them, and i caught a 7 lb striper last weekend that was full of milt. the recent warm weather has gotton them ready to spawn (that is my theory as to why they have eggs and milt right now). when i first found eggs in the hybrid a few weeks ago i though maybe they were spawning already and will again in the spring but the biologists me and some other members have talked to say they only spawn once, in the spring. i don't see how they would know that for sure but they are biologists that do extensive studies on the movement and behavior of they striper so i have no choice but to take their word for it unless i can prove otherwise.

matthewsman

Really?

jay sullivent said:
when i first found eggs in the hybrid a few weeks ago i though maybe they were spawning already and will again in the spring
I had always understood that hybrids were sterile and had a fake spawn,no eggs,but instinctively went through spawning behavior?anybody else heard this?

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Welfare Hole

WE have a welfare hole at lake Chatuge in hiawassee ga at some rip-rap. Man you can lay slab crappie out there in the spring. :whip: :whip:

jay sullivent

hybrid do the whole process of spawning but the eggs are never fertilized. although, i have never found milt in a hybrid. only in the striper.

flat foot

The two places I think we are talking about is south of the lower boat ramp on the east side of the lake. It pupms water from the Ocmulgee River. The other is just north of the plant on the east side as well. I have seen fish on the fishfinder with no luck. One thing is a must for that lake Florocarbon leaders and small ones too. Juliette makes me scratch my head some days but the Striper have been good On Blacksheer too. If you have a secret for crappie on that lake (Juliette) please feel free to tell. For two years now it has issued a but whippin in the fella here.