Growing watermelons

BDD

Does the vine put out roots as it grows and touches the ground, or are all the roots
Just in the base of the vine ? The reason I ask, I’m going to try to grow some off the ground.
They are planted in a raised bed but I’m going to add platforms 4’ x 4’ about every 18” high as the vines grow.
The platforms will be framed with 2”x2”s and covered in wire fencing. Thinking about 5 or six platforms high.
I’ll manually rout the vine as it grows then trim it when I have the coverage I want. This is more just for fun
Then to actually grow lots of WM’s . Basically turning 4 square foot into 24.

Jim Ammons

Does the vine put out roots as it grows and touches the ground, or are all the roots
Just in the base of the vine ? The reason I ask, I’m going to try to grow some off the ground.
They are planted in a raised bed but I’m going to add platforms 4’ x 4’ about every 18” high as the vines grow.
The platforms will be framed with 2”x2”s and covered in wire fencing. Thinking about 5 or six platforms high.
I’ll manually rout the vine as it grows then trim it when I have the coverage I want. This is more just for fun
Then to actually grow lots of WM’s . Basically turning 4 square foot into 24.

All the roots are in the ground where you plant the seed.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Will the plants that are on the platforms get good sun?

JackSprat

If you set the melons up on something like an upside down flower pot or small bucket, you will have a lot less loss from rot if we have a wet summer. Brick, concrete block, anything to get them up off the ground.