fix a flat foam

JohnK

The tires and tubes on my hand trucks are an odd size 12/5.00x6 and I can' t find tubes so I thought I'd try some foam in the tires. Anybody ever use that stuff in small wheels designed for tubes? I saw a video where they drilled holes in mower tires to put it in but how does it work a year later..still happy with it?

sinclair1

Probably depends on your load. For what I haul on my handtruck it would be flat spotted and never work. If you do light loads......maybe

ryanh487

That stuff will eat the rubber from the inside out. Don't use it unless you're planning on replacing the tire sooner than later.

GoldDot40

Yep...stay away from it. It might be OK to temporarily get you off the roadside to a tire shop. It's not to be used long term. Back when I drove a tow truck, the station I worked for sold and repaired tires. If you came in to get a tire plugged...my 1st question is "does the tire have Fix-A-Flat in it. If it did, I wouldn't attempt to plug it.

The stuff is flammable. When you remove a nail to plug a tire, you have to use a reamer to open the hole up in order for a plug to be inserted. What are tires made of other than rubber? Steel belts. The reamer makes a spark...somebody just had a bad day.

treemanjohn

Banned
I think you're taking about 2 different things . Fix a flat is a temporary sealant that goes in tires at the road side. The other is great stuff foam. Drill holes around the tire, remove the valve stem, and fill it up with expanding foam. Foam works great

tree cutter 08

I tried foaming a lawn more tire one time. Kept breaking down after a few weeks. The professional stuff is good. I had skidsteer tires done and they held up great.

transfixer

The tires and tubes on my hand trucks are an odd size 12/5.00x6 and I can' t find tubes so I thought I'd try some foam in the tires. Anybody ever use that stuff in small wheels designed for tubes? I saw a video where they drilled holes in mower tires to put it in but how does it work a year later..still happy with it?

With a handtruck since you're going to be moving items that will have some weight to them from time to time, I would simply pull one of the wheels off and go to Harbor freight or northern and find replacement solid wheels, just match the size of the axle hole and width of the rim, then you won't have to worry with flats.

3ringer

You can buy a product called Slime that works good. You could replace both wheels from Northern Tool. For a little more than the cost of two wheels , you can buy a whole new handtruck.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
With a handtruck since you're going to be moving items that will have some weight to them from time to time, I would simply pull one of the wheels off and go to Harbor freight or northern and find replacement solid wheels, just match the size of the axle hole and width of the rim, then you won't have to worry with flats.

This is exactly what I did with a set of handtrucks with pneumatic tires that always were flat.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I use my hand trucks 2-3 times a year max, so I just pre plan to pump the tires up before use. If you really want a tube type in the size on the search bar, shouldn't be hard to order one from amat or eBay.

Latest posts