Speed for Side Imaging...

Nothin but Fish

I have had several PM's lately inquiring about speed for seeing detail with Humminbird Side Imaging. Here are a few from a Yak....

Attachments

• S00075.PNG
    S00075.PNG
    545.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • S00076.PNG
    S00076.PNG
    524.6 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Spring Lake 2012_02_05 01.png
    Spring Lake 2012_02_05 01.png
    496.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Spring Lake 2012_02_05 02.png
    Spring Lake 2012_02_05 02.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Spring Lake 2012_02_05 03.jpg
    Spring Lake 2012_02_05 03.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,405

gsp754

Banned
Are all the dots in the first two pictures from the low speed or something else? Its good to know that side image will work even at slow speeds. Thanks for posting this, i am wanting to get side imaging for my electric boat and have been concerned with speed and getting good readings. I assume the sonar will work the same no matter what the speed, its just the SI that likes a little faster pase?

Last edited:

Nothin but Fish

Sens too high

Are all the dots in the first two pictures from the low speed or something else? Thanks for posting this, i am wanting to get side imaging for my electric boat and have been concerned with speed and getting good readings. I assume the sonar will work fine, its just the SI that likes a little faster pase?

The sens is a little to high. There are several things one can do to get the view better. I know David Turner does a seminar at Bass Pro both in Atlanta and Macon and could help a great deal with becoming an expert on SI.:cool:

Notice how you can actually see the oar strokes from Yaker..:cool:

gsp754

Banned
After you mention it, i can see the paddle strokes, i was wondering what that pattern near the surface was. Thanks again, this answered a lot of questions i had about SI and slow speed. Looks like i will be getting a new Humminbird with side image now.

dturnersr

The sens is a little to high. There are several things one can do to get the view better. I know David Turner does a seminar at Bass Pro both in Atlanta and Macon and could help a great deal with becoming an expert on SI.:cool:

Notice how you can actually see the oar strokes from Yaker..:cool:

Just a reminder- BPS/Humminbird is hosting another FREE seminar this Sunday at Lawrenceville starting at 2pm.

I would be glad to answer/demonstrate how SI can put more fish in your boat---:clap:

dturnersr

Are all the dots in the first two pictures from the low speed or something else? Its good to know that side image will work even at slow speeds. Thanks for posting this, i am wanting to get side imaging for my electric boat and have been concerned with speed and getting good readings. I assume the sonar will work the same no matter what the speed, its just the SI that likes a little faster pase?

Each person has his or her own sight preferences- for example I see you like a green dot on your bow site- I like red. Some people feel like they see more with the sensitivity turned up versus which creates more "stuff" on the screen. I always recommend changing not only sensitivity levels but also screen colors as I have found many people may see more with a blue screen versus amber 1 or amber 2, I have a friend who is convinced his green screen is the best- it's whatever settings help you see and catch more fish. :yeah:

Lanier Jim

Jeez..... Good stuff Bill and David.

Louie B

Its good to know that side image will work even at slow speeds. Thanks for posting this, i am wanting to get side imaging for my electric boat and have been concerned with speed and getting good readings. I assume the sonar will work the same no matter what the speed, its just the SI that likes a little faster pase?

To answer your concern; YES Side Imaging works just fine at slow speed, or sitting still. You just need to understand how your picture could change and how to interpret your image. This stuff is not rocket science so don't be intimidated to play with your unit, the only menu you need to know is SI Enhance. Everything you need to adjust your Side Imaging picture is right there. Don't get caught up in magic settings or worrying about someone else's recommended settings. 90% of the units work great right out of the box, but I own 4 Side Imaging Units on 2 different boats and all are set a bit different. It's the transducers that require adjusting, not the units. I recommend idling around until you see an object like a tree, rock pile, grass, etc. Then by touching your directional arrow you can freeze/stop the screen. Go to SI Enhance menu and start adjusting your settings and watch your screen picture change immediately. Easy stuff.

Here's a simple example I used a few months back at a seminar in Dalton, Ga of how boat speed/chart speed can affect your picture. Thanks to Adam Broughton for the pic

Pic 1: The boat speed and scroll speed are matched nicely. If you imagine a square house foundation on the bottom of the lake, you will get a perfect square on your display

Pic 2: What happens in this case is that the image is stretched vertically. If your boat is too slow, the sonar pings that target too long, and you paint too much on the screen. Similarly, if your scroll speed is too fast, you'll get the same thing. The image is flying down the screen faster than the boat is moving.

Pic 3: In this case, the boat zips past the target and you get an image that is squished vertically. Similarly, if your scroll speed is creeping along slowly, you aren't putting enough information on the screen to keep up with the boat.

Attachments

• Scroll_Rate1.jpg
    Scroll_Rate1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Scroll_Rate2.jpg
    Scroll_Rate2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Scroll_Rate3.jpg
    Scroll_Rate3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 948

Lanier Jim

Good stuff LB...and tell Adam Da Vinci he ain't bad with his etchy sketch :)

TroyBoy30

just remember SI enhance causes issues in a few of the newer firmwares since all the others are ignoring it. stay at 6.490 (before they added 360) or below and you will be fine

EZ Spin

I get some of my clearest scans of bridge pilings on my 998c when I take my Nitro out of gear and coast past them at about 1.5 miles an hour. I can see the bass and other fish suspended against the pilings at that slow speed with my scroll speed set accordingly. Some people insist that 4-5 mph but I like to slow down to get the clearest images at around 1-2mph. I guess it is just personal preference.

Lanier Jim

LoL...funny guys

Louie B

I get some of my clearest scans of bridge pilings on my 998c when I take my Nitro out of gear and coast past them at about 1.5 miles an hour. I can see the bass and other fish suspended against the pilings at that slow speed with my scroll speed set accordingly. Some people insist that 4-5 mph but I like to slow down to get the clearest images at around 1-2mph. I guess it is just personal preference.

I totally agree with you EZ Spin. I too, like to coast by a target or an area I may find a brushpile, etc. You get a great picture this way.

Troy, I've had a client a few weeks ago having problems with the newest update. He said it slowed his 1198 and affected his screen picture, especially his 2D. But I haven't personally had any issue's with any of my units, I'm currently running update 6.490 on my boats.

LB

Lanier Jim

Hmmmmmm