GAS Truck Programmers

hiawassee1

Can anyone give me the insight on these programmers for trucks? Are they worth it? Best ones to buy? Your results, and any info would be greatly appreciated, along with any negative affects. I am looking to possibly put one on my 07 F150, maybe get better gas mileage, and just a little more horsepower, to push the 35's that were on it when I bought it. I'm not to positive what they all due. Or would you recommend a "custom tune"?

Thanks, J.R.

Georgiadawgs78

I'm not sure in the newer 5.4L but with the 2v 5.4's the programmers do a little but you see your best gains when you get custom tunes wrote specifically for your mods along with running premium fuel. Gryphon tunes seem to be the best on the market from what I've read.

GoldDot40

Yep, search online for someone who does custom tunes. It's night and day difference vs a canned hand-held programmer. Most custom tuners will retune for free after the initial tune.

Ogeechee

I have an Edge Evolution on my 2004 F150 XL. I bought it for the gauges it has, but it really has impressed me with the better throttle response, better MPG (1-3 mpg better) and more torque. In the 3 years I've had the Edge, I've never had it in anything but the "tow" setting, but it's great for me!

hiawassee1

Hey Bass, i searched old post and came across one of yours, and actually why I posted this paticular question. But finding somebody around here maybe a harder problem
J.R.

GoldDot40

There's a few ways you can go about doing it. Option #1 would be that a custom tuner put your vehicle on a chassis dyno. They do several dyno runs between tweaks until they find the optimum engine output. That usually runs about $400-$500.

#2 is to find a tuner who's been in the game for a while. They can/will know what changes to make to get you in the ball park....enough to make you smile....of where you want to be. These tunes usually run about $300-$400 (depending on the person).

#3. Google search 'Black Bear Performance'. This requires you to remove your PCM from your truck and send it to them along with a survey about your expectations. They will tune it and send it back for you to reinstall. Can't remember price of this, but I know a lot of people give them high praises.

Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA did the tune on my truck....without a dyno run (see option #2). I'm pretty happy with it.

southernboy2147

There's a few ways you can go about doing it. Option #1 would be that a custom tuner put your vehicle on a chassis dyno. They do several dyno runs between tweaks until they find the optimum engine output. That usually runs about $400-$500.

#2 is to find a tuner who's been in the game for a while. They can/will know what changes to make to get you in the ball park....enough to make you smile....of where you want to be. These tunes usually run about $300-$400 (depending on the person).

#3. Google search 'Black Bear Performance'. This requires you to remove your PCM from your truck and send it to them along with a survey about your expectations. They will tune it and send it back for you to reinstall. Can't remember price of this, but I know a lot of people give them high praises.

Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA did the tune on my truck....without a dyno run (see option #2). I'm pretty happy with it.

i believe my buddy paid 350 for his black bear tune. He swore by it