Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) Report

chefrific

Shot a deer a week ago in Telfair that had the tale-tale peeling hooves resulting from surviving Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD).
This is the first time I've ever seen evidence of it on our property.
Just wandering if anybody else has seen it this year.

GA DAWG

I've saw it a bunch of times. None this yr though.

dtala

was the deer underweight at all??

a lot of the time the EHD damages the lining of the stomach/intestines and hinders adsorption of nutrients.

chefrific

Did not have the deer tested. But all of it's hooves were peeling/damaged and the deer was definitely underweight compared to other deer taken this year.

doeboy1

I had no idea that was a sign of EHD. A friend killed a buck this weekend in FL, it had the peeling hooves and was only 95lbs. I figured the weight was just run down from the rut but wasn't sure about the hooves.

Hunter922

Having the deer tested is the only way to confirm EHD.

Designasaurus

Not in GA but I hunt on our family farm in SW Missouri - not great deer country due to lack of crop agriculture. People mostly raise rocks & cattle in the area. Last year neighbors kept asking if I had found any dead deer from EHD which apparently had been very bad over the summer of 2012 due to heat & drought. They had found quite a few in the area. The last couple of days I started looking & found 2 deer skeletons - see pic of skulls (I attached them to hang on the wall - they were found quite a ways apart).

Then this fall (2013) I saw very few deer but shot a nice buck after most of a week's hard hunting and noticed that it's hooves were "weird" - mis-shapen, chipped & flaking. (see pics) I believe it had contracted & survived EHD outbreak last year. It was in good shape & obviously rutting so I think he had gotten over it OK.

Attachments

• EHD hooves.jpg
    EHD hooves.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 633
  • EHD skulls.jpg
    EHD skulls.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 639
  • 10 pt.jpg
    10 pt.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 639
  • Deer closeup.jpg
    Deer closeup.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 631

sbargo21

Not in Ga but i shot a buck in Kentucky that had chipped and peeling hooves. It also had no body fat on it. I never had it tested but was told by several people that it had EHD. Is the meat safe to eat?

Stump06

I found a piece of a hoof on our land last year. I always thought it was from a carcass that coyotes or dogs had drug around but this post has got me thinking the deer may have suffered from EHD.
No way to confirm it and all the deer we've killed since have been healthy.
Still concerning none-the-less.

grouper throat

We've seen messed up tracks on deer for a couple years before the FWC confirmed it being here in 2012. When you jump a deer with dogs and it doesn't run, something is very wrong.

Designasaurus

I think unless the deer is currently sick the meat is fine. The hooves only get messed up after the deer survives EHD.

"Humans cannot be infected by EHD, nor can the disease be transmitted by consuming venison from afflicted animals. (Hunters are advised, however, to avoid eating visibly sick deer because they may be stricken by a secondary infection that could affect people"

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Pages/EHD information.aspx

ChattNFHunter

I think unless the deer is currently sick the meat is fine. The hooves only get messed up after the deer survives EHD.

"Humans cannot be infected by EHD, nor can the disease be transmitted by consuming venison from afflicted animals. (Hunters are advised, however, to avoid eating visibly sick deer because they may be stricken by a secondary infection that could affect people"

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Pages/EHD information.aspx

Valuable information. I learned that EHD could not be transmitted to humans and wondered why we were not supposed to eat the meat. Very obvious answer now that you brought it up.

bulldawgborn

I haven't seen it this year. I did kill a young buck a few years ago that had 4 sloughed hooves

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
We had a small out break of EHD or blue tounge in 2005. I killed a big buck in 2007 that had the messed up hooves.
According to what I have read, they can get so sick from it that there hooves stop growing. When they survive and the hooves start growing again it makes them malformed.

octoberman60

I have been told by fellow hunter that Liberty, Long and Bryan counties around the Fort Stewart have an EHD outbreak this summer of 2014. Can anyone confirm this?