Lanier crappie or catfish...

catfish1083

I am new to fishing lanier and was looking for tips for catching either catfish or crappie around the clarks bridge area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get a friend of mine on some fish tomorrow night. Thanks again

Teh Wicked

Catfish are easy...From the bank or a boat, just toss out some cut bait or a live herring and wait...You can also smoke them pretty good from a boat using downlines. Just focus on the banks in the 25ft-45ft ranges and you will eventually come across a couple and they just gobble up live baits on down lines.

As for Crappie, you really need a boat because you have to go find them. Best places are to find docks that have some deeper water under them, everything I read from this time of year says the 25-30ft stuff is the only place to find them, or find some brush in the same depth and you should find them. Using crappie minows or the bobby garland baits is the way to go for Crappie on Lanier.

j_seph

Bridges have been fair to hot at night

Redbeard01

Lanier crappie or catfish

I don't know about crappie, but the catfish are tearing it up off brushpiles on humps in 25' - 35' of water. The last two weekends, I have caught more channel cats than stripers or spots on some of the areas that I have fished. Like the man said, live herring or cut. I even caught one on a dropshot morning dawn roboworm!!! And these aren't kitty cats either, most are averaging just under 22".

Redbeard

Khondker

I know blueblack herring is very delicate fish and hard to keep alive, if I make a long cast will it be still alive?

Redbeard01

Lanier crappie or catfish

Don't worry too much about it, catfish will eat them dead or alive!!! Save your dead herring, pinch them in half and use for cut bait. Catfish and even stripers will eat them like a kid eating ice cream/!!! Plus, the oils and scent released into the water from your cut herring will pull other
fish into the area that you are fishing.

Redbeard

j_seph

I will say this Dustin, I hardly ever use herring for cats and biggest so far from Lanier is 27 pounds but you know this so go forth young man.