Remington 870 or Benelli Nova?

philtuts

Which one should I purchase this August? I will be hunting waterfowl, upland birds, and shooting a lot of skeet. Which one and why? Thanks.

FF-Emt Diver

I would go with the 870, but that just me because I prefer Remington!...there is a good bit of handling difference in these 2 guns so I recommend that you try both of them and see what fits best...As a side not you may also want to look at the Stoeger P-350 if you like the Nova, basically the same gun but my wife has the 350 and I like the way it handles better.

Potlicker60

That is a tough decision. I like both of these guns. I have a Nova, but have shot and hunted with an 870. If i were waterfowl and skeet only, I would go with the Nova. It is a bigger gun. When you throw upland into the mix I would choose the 870 because of its slim and light feel. I would go with the 870 to fit all of those needs. Bother are nice though...see which one feels best.

Core Lokt

The 870 will kill everything the Nova will and for less money. You can also break it down in no time to clean it. Here in Fl the 870 is what LEO uses as well.

Dyrewulf

I've had both - the Nova is a great shotgun, but I like the 870 better - the heavier 870 helps with recoil and second shot. The Nova I owned, even with the recoil damper in it, kicked like a mule with turkey loads in it. Might not be much of a difference with low-brass upland game loads though.

Dyrewulf

Odd - I just looked both up to see what the basic listed weight was, and the references I found showed the Nova being 1 pound heavier - but it kicked a (If the pastor of my church can say a word 15 times in a sermon, then getting 'I am a potty mouth' out of this form is ABSOLUTELY STUPID) lot more with 3" Winchester turkey loads than the Remington did. :huh:

philtuts

Thanks guys. I was already leaning towards the 870. Now, what is the cheapest base price for an 870? I've seen it for $330 but that's the lowest I've seen.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
There have been several of these comparison threads, and the 870 wins every time. Good luck with a great shotgun!

rjcruiser

uh oh...I'm going to buck the crowd. I like my Nova better. Just fits my cheek and lines up better than the 870 or the Mossberg 500 I have.

Either way, you won't go wrong.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Remington - "First In the Field". The 870 is the most popular all around pump out there for good reason but check them both and pick the one that suits you best.

chase870

Possum Sox
870 period end of story. You will do better to shop gun broker and find a wingmaster magnum for about the same price as a new express the action will be a little smother and it looks a bit better.

Etter2

Banned
I don't think my nova kicks at all compared to other shotguns, and it's a more weatherproof gun, but they're both good.

Rich M

A buddy has a benelli - nice & light, just did not work for me.

My 870 is over 20 years old. I might clean it but haven't yet... Never had a problem. I really do not clean my shotgun - no need, just wipe it with oil a couple times each year and spray it with WD-40 after hunting the salt. The wood finish had worn off where I hold it, etc. Good quality there.

At $269 I would buy another one - even if I don't need it.

born2hunt99

870 all the way...flawless performance. Best bang for your buck! :D

across the river

I have both and would go with the 870.

X 2 If you are going to get a pump, buy the Remington. If you step it up to an automatic one day spend the money and buy a Benelli (or a Beretta).

emusmacker

870 Remington. both are great guns, but I just don't see how a Nova is that much better than an 870 to warrant the higher price,

academy has the best price on 870 express magnums.