Miracle-Grow ?????

Niner

Has anyone ever tried using Miracle-Grow or other liquid fertilizers for their food plots?

gadeerwoman

I avoid them because they need to be mixed with water and watered on the plants. Straight dry miracle gro can burn or kill tender plants. With the size of the plots I try to do, I prefer regular old granular fertilizers.

6wheeler

Miracle-Gro

Makes a granulated fertilizer that will not burn. I use it instead of ammonia nitrate for that reason. It is rather pricey though.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
6wheeler essentially hit the nail on the head. It isn't cost affective to use liquid fertilizers such as Miracle Grow on plots, especially with any size to them.

Jorge

You want to see you plots grow like a miracle, just put down some 34-0-0 right before a rain. Everything will grow like a weed. Including the weeds.

SWAMPFOX

I can't remember when I read it here but somebody here recommended using Miracle Grow and something else on a small shooter plot close to their tree for bow season.

There was some pretty good info both on what to plant and when using Miracle Grow. Seems like it got the stuff up and tasty pretty quick. But, again, it was a very small plot.

I searched for the details of it here and couldn't find it. Seems like it was posted prior to Woody's moving under GON.

Maybe somebody remembers it; I sure can't.

Gadget

Niner said:
Has anyone ever tried using Miracle-Grow or other liquid fertilizers for their food plots?
sprayed several plots with liquid 20-20-20 in the last year. Used my 25 gallon atv sprayer. Worked fairly well, greened them noticably but doesn't last as long as a slow release pellet fertilizer. I pefer to use a balanced triple 13,14 or 19 at planting and then follow up with a high nitrogen like 27-5-7 three or four weeks later.

mainly use the liquid Fert to mix in with my Round-up.

Gadget

about what the directions say, a little less. I think it's a teaspoon per gallon. It comes out to be about two cups or 8oz per 25 gallon tank.

It helps speed up the effect of glyphosate or "Round-up". Round up can only kill plants that are making an enzyme that they make when growing, the more they make the faster and better it works. Adding fertilizer increases the production of this enzyme.