With all the Ocmulgee Hype......

Money man

:bounce:Hey guys, very nice fish and great pictures. Ocmulgee is a pretty place, just make sure you have a fishing partner that can carry on a conversation when the the bites are no where to be found.

KB, when are you coming up here to the T-Haw for that trip we discussed? Sorry, you better be ready for some 2 lbers though. :bounce:

Just thought I would pass a little info along. Be ready to catch some SMALL bass at ocmulgee. We got finished with our shocking last week and found a few unexpected guests in the lake. We also didnt do as well as hoped with our sampling of the tagged females. We sampled 22 tagged females in really good shape. Ranging from 5.5 to 8.25 pounds. Just wish we could have gotten about 10 or 15 more. These fish came out of the flooded brush along the bank.

The white crappie are starting to bite in the flooded brush and off the piers. The biggest one weighed in a 1.5 pounds.
Channel cats are showing up everywhere. All of these are ready for the pan, between 1 and 2 pounds.

Enjoy your time on the water and good luck!

tnhikr44

Great meeting You, Randy and Dean this morning.
-Joe-

Hey Joe,
( For some reason I suddenly feel like I am quoting a deceased black guy who played a right handed guitar up-side down/lefty. That song will certainly be stuck in my head all day. One of the best ever. RIP Jimi Hendrix)

It was good meeting you and it's a bummer that you did not catch a fish... and I apologize for my attitude towards that place. You probably though I was either an idiot for offering that bet or a jerk for bad mouthing the place before you made your first cast. Truth is, you were probably right on both accounts, but as rumor has it... I owe no one a fifty spot!!!
You have already paid some of the required dues (i.e. time and effort) that the Ocmulgee fish Gods insist on before releasing a bite. It really seems to be true, especially of late. But, for what it is worth, I have found no secret bait (I would share) and I have found no secret spot (I would tell). Time and effort is the cost of a bite at that place, and you have forfeited both already. You are due.
Good luck

(If I were fishing the event, I would be throwing a weightless green watermelonseed magnum trick worm both in shallow and deep water, on the surface and up to three feet down. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Occasionally I'd rig it 'wacky' and plop it down next to the bushes and just let it sink. I have done fairly well on that "pattern")

kbswear

So.........what exactly are you trying to say there Keith?

I didnt mean to hit a nerve Jonathan. But as you know i do voice my belief of the definition of INSANITY. Which for you guys who are not familiar with it here goes.....

INSANITY- Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results!

This lake is like none other that i have fished. You really have to adapt to its conditions. If one thing isnt working you have to find what is. I know we (plural) like to force feed the fish our favorite baits but the F1's in there just wont allow it. You (plural also) have to fish what might not be comfortable to you. In other words your ( ) comfort bait might not work with these finicky bass.

kbswear

KB, when are you coming up here to the T-Haw for that trip we discussed? Sorry, you better be ready for some 2 lbers though. :bounce:

I'm anxious to go for sure. We will have to get together sometime this month or Nov. They have cut our OT out since its the begining of our year so i'm looking at some free time coming up soon.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Nice fish UXO...Hope the bite is ON for all of you come the 17th.
That is a pretty place. Good pics.

UXO

Nice fish UXO...Hope the bite is ON for all of you come the 17th.
That is a pretty place. Good pics.

Thanks, me too! With as many people as we'll have there I hope to see some big ones come out and play!

Dewaholic

Since joe and myself got skunked then you guys better watch out on the 17th. Na, who am I kidding, I will probably end up losing another new spinner bait like saturday and maybe a few other new lures.

Chris S.

I didnt mean to hit a nerve Jonathan. But as you know i do voice my belief of the definition of INSANITY. Which for you guys who are not familiar with it here goes.....

INSANITY- Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results!

This lake is like none other that i have fished. You really have to adapt to its conditions. If one thing isnt working you have to find what is. I know we (plural) like to force feed the fish our favorite baits but the F1's in there just wont allow it. You (plural also) have to fish what might not be comfortable to you. In other words your ( ) comfort bait might not work with these finicky bass.

F1's were designed and bred to feed more aggressively KB.......fishing pressure per acre and heavy cover are the contributors to a muted bite,not because the fish are F1's.pure Florida strain fish are the most reserved as far as feeding,the northern species are most aggressive,the F1's are the happy medium.

kbswear

F1's were designed and bred to feed more aggressively KB.......fishing pressure per acre and heavy cover are the contributors to a muted bite,not because the fish are F1's.pure Florida strain fish are the most reserved as far as feeding,the northern species are most aggressive,the F1's are the happy medium.

Good info to know Chris. I just assumed this because with all the bass i've caught out of there 75% of them i dont actually feel and that is a conservative number. Really, most of my fish are caught strictly by line watching. Hardly ever do they bash the bait. Its always the same when fishing with plastics.........my line will start slowly moving w/o me feeling a bite and this is with sensitive braid. And alot of the times my line will not fall when supposed to and thats when i know to lay into it.

Chris S.

Sounds like you have the flippin and pitchin down there.I have a feeling I know for the most part what you guy's are doing I just need to see the lake first.when it is like that KB it only makes you that much better of a fisherman.............you have to go to the fish.they dont like to leave their living room.What are the baitfish and forage bases there?

kbswear

Sounds like you have the flippin and pitchin down there.I have a feeling I know for the most part what you guy's are doing I just need to see the lake first.when it is like that KB it only makes you that much better of a fisherman.............you have to go to the fish.they dont like to leave their living room.What are the baitfish and forage bases there?

I'm not 100% sure. I know their are some shad and i think they are threadfin. There are a lot of schools of what looks like regular minnows or just baby frye. Thats mainly what i see down there.

As far as the flippin and pitchin. Thats an accurate assessment of what i do. Really on just about every lake i fish that makes up a lot of my game plan.

Chris S.

I hear you,depending on the number of boats and noise out there on the 17th I'd have to believe it will be even tougher for most.Those fish are getting beat up and on right now so they will be in defense mode come gameday.