Tithing benefits!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I've been struggling with this for a couple years now. About 10 years ago the pastor at the church we went to gave the exact sermon and promised our money back. We were already tithing, but decided instead of a flat rate, we needed to truly tithe every Gross (before taxes) penny we made. We did so for many many years and had a happy heart about it. Then all of a sudden our pastor got caught in a scandel with fooling around with a married women. He was fired and all of a sudden our church was broke. I quickly became soured that I've given this church enough money to buy a new Cadillac, and all they do is cry they are broke,all the while I'm sitting in a 4 million dollar sanctuary with 2 100" projection screens. We have changed churches and are now at one that is great and truly gives back to our community and to other countries, but I am still soured deep down in my heart and asuch as I say I'm going to start back tithing, I just can't.i need to and I want to, but I just can't make that leap.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I've been struggling with this for a couple years now. About 10 years ago the pastor at the church we went to gave the exact sermon and promised our money back. We were already tithing, but decided instead of a flat rate, we needed to truly tithe every Gross (before taxes) penny we made. We did so for many many years and had a happy heart about it. Then all of a sudden our pastor got caught in a scandel with fooling around with a married women. He was fired and all of a sudden our church was broke. I quickly became soured that I've given this church enough money to buy a new Cadillac, and all they do is cry they are broke,all the while I'm sitting in a 4 million dollar sanctuary with 2 100" projection screens. We have changed churches and are now at one that is great and truly gives back to our community and to other countries, but I am still soured deep down in my heart and asuch as I say I'm going to start back tithing, I just can't.i need to and I want to, but I just can't make that leap.

Were you tithing to the church? or to God?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I was asking of your heart, not the physical recipient.

If I really was to think on it, it was to God, at least that's what I think, but I don't know. I was truly tithing with no intentions of getting anything back from it, I put it in God's hands to make good use of it. In those years and probably $60k dollars later, I never saw our church go outside of the church and do good anywhere, and also had to listen to the Interim pastor cry that we didn't have money to make minor repairs. Once we finally left the church, I truly felt as if God didn't put my tithe to use. The church I go to now is constantly doing amazing things inside and outside of our community. We set up at gas stations and buy people gas, give them Chick-fil-A sandwiches, we gave our police and fire Dept $20k each for new supplies. We had a well dug for a small village in Africa. This is the exact type of church where I feel tithing is a great thing and is being used for what God has intentions of, and for a year of being in this church, I still can't bring myself to tithe.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
If I really was to think on it, it was to God, at least that's what I think, but I don't know. I was truly tithing with no intentions of getting anything back from it, I put it in God's hands to make good use of it. In those years and probably $60k dollars later, I never saw our church go outside of the church and do good anywhere, and also had to listen to the Interim pastor cry that we didn't have money to make minor repairs. Once we finally left the church, I truly felt as if God didn't put my tithe to use. The church I go to now is constantly doing amazing things inside and outside of our community. We set up at gas stations and buy people gas, give them Chick-fil-A sandwiches, we gave our police and fire Dept $20k each for new supplies. We had a well dug for a small village in Africa. This is the exact type of church where I feel tithing is a great thing and is being used for what God has intentions of, and for a year of being in this church, I still can't bring myself to tithe.

I have experienced some of that, but always chalked it up to man's folly, not God's. Seek first the Kingdom of God and he will lay upon your heart what he wishes for you to do.

Sounds like you are in a great church community now (family / congregation, not the building).

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Very true, on both accounts. I know in my heart it's time to start back. I just need to take the leap of faith. Lol

groundhawg

Just not sure who is doing all the great things.....you used the word WE several times but if you are not giving then it is the church you are attending not you that is/are doing good for others. Average in most churches is that 25% to 28% of people in a church give and support over 90% of all the funds; also teachers, ushers, and preform other duties that keep a church going.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Give cheerfully. If you can't do that don't give. God doesn't need your money. He needs and wants you! The wounds take time to heal but they will heal and you will find the wealth of God's love for you. And that wealth is what we really all need!

grizzlyblake

It seems contradictory to an extent to blindly tithe to a church without verifying where the dollars are actually going. I always hear the line of trusting God to handle that part, but to me that seems about like driving without a seat belt or giving up guns for protecting one's family.

I'd rather give 10% directly to those in need than to any church if I didn't truly know where they were allocating the funds.

Artfuldodger

I was thinking of giving all of my possessions to a trust fund so that Medicaid wouldn't get them if I go to a nursing home.

I don't know if this is the Christian thing to do or the Republican thing to do. Maybe my kids will give it to the Church.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'd rather give 10% directly to those in need than to any church if I didn't truly know where they were allocating the funds.

because you know where the funds need to go better than God does?

Either God is God and has it all under control, or He isn't God. We all say we trust God and believe He controls everything, yet we wish to impose our idea of what is best. Go figure.

Artfuldodger

because you know where the funds need to go better than God does?

Either God is God and has it all under control, or He isn't God. We all say we trust God and believe He controls everything, yet we wish to impose our idea of what is best. Go figure.

Maybe if one doesn't trust what their Church does with the money then they should switch Churches.

That being said wouldn't giving to those in need be giving to God?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,"

This is Jesus telling us where the funds need to go.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Maybe if one doesn't trust what their Church does with the money then they should switch Churches.

That being said wouldn't giving to those in need be giving to God?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,"

This is Jesus telling us where the funds need to go.

sure, if you are giving to help that person.

But to withhold a tithe from the church and search for someone to give it to because you are afraid the church won't use it right???? nah. You would be better off to find a church with a staff you can trust.

I mean really.... you trust the pastor enough to sit under his teaching and leadership, but don't trust him with a few measley dollars you throw in the plate every Sunday?

Which has more value? Your soul and the souls of your family, or the few dollars you are afraid to trust that God can get them put where He wants them?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I guess I killed this thread dead

welderguy

sure, if you are giving to help that person.

But to withhold a tithe from the church and search for someone to give it to because you are afraid the church won't use it right???? nah. You would be better off to find a church with a staff you can trust.

I mean really.... you trust the pastor enough to sit under his teaching and leadership, but don't trust him with a few measley dollars you throw in the plate every Sunday?

Which has more value? Your soul and the souls of your family, or the few dollars you are afraid to trust that God can get them put where He wants them?

Or maybe a church with no "staff"... as in unpaid deacons that are Spirit-filled.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Or maybe a church with no "staff"... as in unpaid deacons that are Spirit-filled.

I have seen "unpaid deacons" who could waste money with the best of them.

I guess with me it all boils down to "that ain't my job". God didn't put the responsibility to make sure the funds were spent correctly on me. He only request that I trust Him to supply all my needs if I will trust Him with those things I so painfully wish to retain as my own.

For me it isn't only the tithe, but my will, my wishes and my desire to control the outcome of so many things. I have had to learn to trust when trust is so foreign. I have be wounded by other believers, family and friends. Yet God calls me to trust in Him.

So I do, as much as possible, and more each day.

atlashunter

Sounds like a no lose proposition for the preacher.