Favorite knife for cleaning birds?

dawgvet

So I'm just getting started in upland/dove hunting and had a question about cleaning birds. What is your favorite knife for cleaning birds? I used a filet knife on the doves from this year but was wondering if something shorter would be easier. I've seen several small knives labeled as "bird and trout" knives but never bought one. What are your opinions on this?

Also, I've seen some knives with a long skinny hook for removing some of the intestines? Is this very beneficial? How quickly and under what circumstances should this be done? Are these hooks really that useful?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Remington upland game knife. Also has the bonus of a choke wrench.
A close 2nd would be kitchen scissors and a havalon knife.

grab the feathers and skin on the breast, tear skin away to expose the breast, put thumb under tip of breast and rip away from carcass. use a good pair of scissors to cut off the wings. a little extra cleaning and ready for the frying pan. enjoy

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With doves, usually a pair of poultry shears for cleaning. If I fillet the meat off the breastbone, I use a fillet knife or one of the little boning knives I bought a while back. They're like mini-fillet knives.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good looking knife. Anvilhead is making me a similar one.

gregg

grab the feathers and skin on the breast, tear skin away to expose the breast, put thumb under tip of breast and rip away from carcass. use a good pair of scissors to cut off the wings. a little extra cleaning and ready for the frying pan. enjoy

This....I actually twist the wings off first, but the rest is what I do, clean a dove in 30 seconds.

bighonkinjeep

Gregg has it dead on.
No need for a knife with doves. twist off the wings grab em under the breast and pop it out. If you leave the heart attached it's a bonus.

Killinstuff

Pluck doves! Snip the wings and legs and pluck. There isn't a bird out there that looses it's feathers easier. For bigger birds and ducks I breast out, the 4" Rapala fillet knife can't be beat. Easy to get sharp and keep sharp.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I had a multi tool once that had a very sharp, small blade. Worked perfect for filleting the meat off the bone of a dove

Dirtroad Johnson

I grip the wing between my thumb & point finger right where the wing joins the body & pop it backwards & it snaps right off, then just pull the breast out with thumb. I should have said this is with doves. As with others I just make sure whatever knife I use is sharp.

Latest posts