First time hunting hogs

jerome

Can anyone tell me about hog hunting and how does it differ from deer hunting . I'm going to try out a few WMAs this year in hopes of killing a hog .

frankwright

Hogs have no curiosity and are hard wired to panic and run at the slightest inkling that anything is wrong.
They are usually noisey and will make all kinds of racket coming in, usually but not always.
Fun to shoot and eat!

jerome

I'm going to a WMA that I'm told has a lot of hogs that I've never set foot on . I will be hunting for deer also . I know how to find them my question is ridges, hollers or creek bottom for hogs?

Barebowyer

Look for the fresh sign which could be in any of those places you mentioned. you have zero leeway with the wind but as long as your movement is not seen can get away with a bit as far as their eyes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Like Barebowyer said, hogs have poor eyesight, but phenomenal noses. Also, the vitals are smaller and more forward on a hog than a deer. Most of the stuff that matters is under the shoulder. If you shoot a broadside hog behind the shoulder like you would a deer, you are likely going to hit guts instead of lungs.

Designasaurus

It is different from deer hunting (in a good way). I could be doing it wrong but I find it best to still hunt into the wind rather than sit and wait like in deer hunting. Move slowly and periodically stop and listen. Like others have said, they don't have good eyesight and can make lots of noise. Once you hear them you can move in closer for a shot. If you jump one, as long as it didn't smell you there is a fair chance it will not go far or may even circle back. When you shoot one in a group, watch closely because the chances are good that some will not run out of sight because they are confused as to where the danger is. Like others have said, their noses are great so paying attention to wind direction is a must. We like to shoot them in the head or neck so they don't run off into the brush and no chance of a gut shot etc.. Take a buddy or a cart - they don't drag nearly as easily as a deer. The other great thing about hog hunting is you don't really need to worry about taking a big one - just shoot any you see (where you might have to field judge deer or want to be selective about what you take)... Pack light and plan on covering a lot of ground. We use GPS to mark where we left our carts and to navigate back to where we may have taken a hog or hogs....

catch22

I never realized how good their noses were. I was sitting in the stand the other day and had a doe and yearling pass by 10 yards downwind......never looked up.

Later a hog was on the same trail and he winded me and took off before I could get the bow drawn back