Tub Leak, Water under tile

yellowfin

My large jacuzzi tub was leaking from cold water supply. I caught it..it maybe leaked a week or so. Water flowed under my tile but above the subfloor and water was coming up through my floor tile joints. It also made it to my carpet in master bed room. I am in the process of running fans now but I am mostly concerned with is mold forming above the sub floor and below the tile. Some mold had formed above the floor insulation against the bottom of sub floor. I am just up in arms on if this is time to rip it out and redo the master or what..Any advice?

naildrvr

Rip it out and get it dried out. If water is under the tile it's not gonna dry with or without the fans.

hdgapeach

What naildrvr said. Get the tile out and dry the subfloor asap, or you'll be doing more than just a "redo" on the master.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Call your Insurance agent, no telling how bad it is.

Dbender

It will dry out just fine. Just keep the fans blowing ( from underside if possible) and as long as the leak is fixed you won't have a mold problem. Mold is a fungus and has to have moisture to grow. No need to get all bent out of shape and rip everything out just because of a little leak.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Add a dehumidifier. Bathrooms are naturally humid any how.

GA native

Mold is the radon scare of this decade. Mold, radon, asbestos... none of this stuff lives up to the exaggerated claims.

I agree with Dbender. Get the leak fixed, and mold will go away on its own. The only problem I foresee: is if the tiles are mortared directly to the subfloor, when the subfloor dries out, some tiles may pop loose.