Question

Josh B

I shoot a evening deer and it runs off. I wait until after dark and go looking. I always carry my pistol but I find deer alive and I shoot it. Did I just spot light?

cself

From my understanding yes. I have heard of a similar situation (deer finished with same rifle it was originally shot with) and the local GW told the guy since he was making every effort to recover game he would not make a big deal but technically it's spotlighting so you better be a reputable hunter. Basically made it sound discretionary but this instance happened 15 or so years ago so take it for old hearsay.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Technically, yes, and with an illegal weapon if prior to gun season, but I doubt that you would be ticketed and if you were I doubt that you would be prosecuted and if you were I doubt that you would be convicted. Especially if you were known to be a reputable hunter with no priors.

wera44

Ive come up on a few still alive. Cutting throats is not very humane.

Its stops the blood to the brain and if the heart is still pumping it bleeds out very quickly. I don't see a problem with it being "less" humane.

Josh B

I spined a deer once. Cut its throat and came back to find it sitting up blowing bubbles. It also could use its front just fine trying to hit me. I had to wrestle it down. Wasnt a enjoyable experience. Ive had to do other things I wont even explain. A bullet is cheap.

bmckune

If you shot it with your bow, why not just shoot it again with your bow? Taking a follow up shot on a wounded animal would be considered "doing everything you can" to recover the animal.

wera44

Yeah they blow bubbles but its all over very quickly. My guess maybe you didn't cut deep enough? Either way you should do what ever your most comfortable with to end it quickly.