Trail Camera batteries ???

z71mathewsman

Question for all you trail camera users.I run about 15 cams,,,yeah I have a trail camera fetish,,,lol.Which batteries do guys have the BEST luck with? I know this depends on the cam and how many pics it takes and what brand camera you use.I notice in mine,the Energizer Lithiums work BEST,but they get expensive in 15 cams.Ive noticed these Quantum Red Duracells,,anyoe use these,are they any better than the gold top ones? Just looking for some feedback,Happy Thansgiving to my fellow hunters.

Last edited:

SheldonMOAC

I have found best prices at Home Depot for Energizer batteries. Like you I run around 15 cameras. 2 of those being cell cams.

ucfireman

I have been using the Rayovac batteries that Home Depot had on sale at thanks giving last year. 60 AA for 10.00. My cams have been out all year and Ive had to change 3 times. 1st set lasted from Oct till march, 2nd from march to oct. on the 3rd set now. Ive been happy and the are cheap, 0.17 ea, cameras take 8ea. Bushnell Agressors. 12mp. I rotate pics and videos and keep them set to 12 mp with 1-2 min between shots.
I think HD has them on sale again now. Cams are at my house and get checked regularly so its not like I need them to last a year or so.

nmurph

I use alkaline batteries from Dollar General in my Reconyx cameras. The 20 battery brick is about $6. I use C-size to A-size converters. I get 1000+ mostly night pics from a set. I have less than $3 per camera in batteries.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Duracell, definitely and absolutely. Any time I have tried any other brand, they just don't work nearly as well, or last nearly as long. I usually get 6-8 months with thousands of pics on my WGIs.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have 37 WGI Cameras in the woods 24/7/365 and I ONLY USE DURACELL alkaline batteries.

On several of my Razor X10 Lightsouts cameras, I get one year plus battery life on high volume photo cameras with the DURACELL Quantums too. I currently have one that recently lasted 15 months. The very first set that I installed on one of my Razor X10's lasted one year and one week. That completely sold me on the Duracell Quantums. Most of my cameras with the Quantums get 10-12 plus months life year after year.

I still use the copper-top batteries in two cameras only as they are low volume photo locations. When I finish using up the 48-pack of the Copper-Top batteries, I will ONLY use Quantums in the future for everything. In all of the other 35 cameras, I only use DURACELL QUANTUMS. They are more expensive (but not nearly as expensive as the Energizer Lithiums which were not worth a cuss to me).

I have keep very detailed records on every one of my cameras for close to 7 years now. I know every detail about the cameras models and I know every detail about battery performance too. I actually check EVERY new battery with a CEN-TECH DIGITAL MULTIMETER before I install it and make 100 percent sure that it is fully charged to 1.62 volts right out of the package. I also write the date of battery installation on EVERY BATTERY AS I INSTALL IT IN THE WOODS TOO. I put a 3/4" long piece of scotch tape around the battery circumference so that I can write the date with an ink pen and it doesn't smear off. I try my best to change out the batteries when they get down to one bar of energy left as well because I don't want to maybe miss that ONE MOST IMPORTANT PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. I also check the remaining energy level left in every used battery as well and keep records on that fact as well. It is very rare indeed for any of my cameras to go completely dead. Because of recent knee problems and subsequent surgery, I have not been able to check my cameras on a weekly basis as I have been doing for all of these years and more recently, and during the past 6 months, I did have 3 Blade X6 cameras that did go completely dead. One of them lasted 10 months, and the other two lasted a full year just about to the day in fact.

I buy all of my 36- pack DURACELL QUANTUM batteries from Sam's Club WHEN THEY ARE ON SALE ONLY. In the long run, they have performed much better for me and have saved me money in the process.

I also have 62 WGI cameras, so I do have several for spares if needed. From time to time, I also add some new locations of camera installations as well. The WGI cameras have performed GREAT for me during all of these years and I don't want or need any other brand. I would be glad to put my WGI trail cam photos up against any other type camera too.

My late Father always told me that "if you have a good horse, you ride it until it dies in its tracks" and that is what I plan to do with my WGI cameras. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I would be glad to share any information with other trailcam users so that it might help them achieve their best performance as well.

I base my information on the fact that I have had well over 650,000 photos during these past 7 years and just this year since January 1, 2017 through November 18, 2017, my cameras have taken 139,025 photos of every kind of wildlife imaginable. Yes, I uploaded and reviewed every one of these photos too before deciding which ones to keep and which ones to delete. I do have an extensive photo library from day one of me using trail cameras.

PS: If the OP of this thread thinks that he might have somewhat of a trail camera fetish.............. Well don't worry, that is not half-bad because I have had a total addiction to it since I started using trail cameras back around 7 years ago. :D:D:D:pop::pop:

mossyoakpro

I use Duracell when I can find them on sale but recently I was on Groupon and saw they had some Sony AA batteries pretty cheap so I figured I would give them a whirl....I have been very impressed with their service thus far. I'll probably order some more next time I need them. I have gotten about 5 months out of the last set I put in a feeder camera that runs 24/7/365 on a 2 minute delay.

Best of luck!

1gr8bldr

You may not realize it now, but you will eventually tire of it. It's quite a job running that many, I know first hand. I'm down to 6 and most times I just have my son look through them. When I was into cams, mercy, I was eat up with, on a mission. More fun then than hunting, however, I did not see a savings with lithium. They cost x times more and lasted that same x times more. The benefit was changing less often, which is a big plus however I just could not bring myself to spend that much at once as if the end result was not the same.

turkeyman55

batteries

Question for all you trail camera users.I run about 15 cams,,,yeah I have a trail camera fetish,,,lol.Which batteries do guys have the BEST luck with? I know this depends on the cam and how many pics it takes and what brand camera you use.I notice in mine,the Energizer Lithiums work BEST,but they get expensive in 15 cams.Ive noticed these red top duracells,,anyoe use these,are they any better than the gold top ones? Just looking for some feedback,Happy Thansgiving to my fellow hunters.
i have had great luck with amazonbasics aa 48 batteries 15.99 ebay free shipping PS CHECK OUT REVIEWS

GADawg08

regular ol energizer and duracell alkalines for me....except one camera that is at the very back of the property near the creek, I run lithiums in it since we don't check it as often cause its pretty dang tough to get to

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Duracell, definitely and absolutely. Any time I have tried any other brand, they just don't work nearly as well, or last nearly as long. I usually get 6-8 months with thousands of pics on my WGIs.

Agreed 100%. I was shocked to read that some prefer Energizer. I'm a big fan of Duracell batteries.