Gutting a hog with gloves?

bowboy1989

Wear the gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my brother currently has brucellosis and is being treated for it with anitboitics and is doin fine, but he was sick for several months before the doctors tested him for it and test came back positive, he knew he had it the whole time but doctors didnt want to buy it.

Buck Dropper

Well this is concerning. Last year at Thanksgiving I killed my first hog. We skinned it and possibly gutted it. Can't remember for sure. I flew back to college and a few days later got horribly sick. Couldn't hold down any food or water. Had no control of my bowels. I lost 15 or 20 pounds that week. I still had lingering affects even two and three weeks later. I always felt out of it. Now I wonder if cleaning that hog was not how I got sick. I had no idea you can't just go at it like you do a whitetail.

I just killed my second hog last night.... and skinned her and gutted her with no gloves....

Hillbilly stalker

There are people who have cleaned dozens without gloves and never had a problem, you just never know which hog. But now that you know, you can protect yourself a litt better. I also keep some of the " Clorox " wet wipes in my truck and pack to wipe knives down with till I can get ahold of some bleach. Some may laugh at that.......but a wise man learns from others mistakes. Insist your friends or hunting partners wear them if you can . I keep a box under the truck seat handy.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Do you have an infection map you can share?

I don't, USDA are the only one's doing the testing but it's fairly limited. They have only tested pigs from the areas they trap, which is not evenly distributed across the state so a map wouldn't be accurate.

I think it's safest to assume that every pig has brucellosis and protect your self accordingly.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Well this is concerning. Last year at Thanksgiving I killed my first hog. We skinned it and possibly gutted it. Can't remember for sure. I flew back to college and a few days later got horribly sick. Couldn't hold down any food or water. Had no control of my bowels. I lost 15 or 20 pounds that week. I still had lingering affects even two and three weeks later. I always felt out of it. Now I wonder if cleaning that hog was not how I got sick. I had no idea you can't just go at it like you do a whitetail.

I just killed my second hog last night.... and skinned her and gutted her with no gloves....

If you cut yourself or there's any way fluids from the pig could have gotten into your body (in your mouth, nose, or eyes), then I would tell your doctor you may have been exposed to brucellosis and get prophylactic antibiotics. If not, keep your eye out for flu-like symptoms for the next month or more.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/huntersbrucellosis/index.html

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Thanks y'all!! Great to read! Great advice!
We have not got one yet. But if we do we are prepared with many a good gloves and clorox wipes.
We haven't seen them while hunting since musket week. They may have left the property but I'm sure they'll return soon.

Thanks!

specialk

I'm late to this thread, but I use latex gloves to clean any wild animal of fish...it's second nature to me now...got one cousin that breaks out in hives if he gets rabbit blood on him.....another does the same with wild turkey blood......