I Need A New Freezer, Brand?

Davexx1

Our Whirlpool upright 15 cu ft frost free freezer is 24+ years old and we are planning to replace it with new. The Whirlpool freezer has been 100% trouble free, maintains -10 degrees consistently, so I am inclined to buy another, but i am open to other brands. Anyone have any suggestions for best brands? Good or bad experiences.

Thanks, Dave

DannyW

According to Consumer Reports, the top brands are Kenmore and Frigidaire. Avoid Whirlpool and Amana. Of course you can get good ones and bad ones from any brand (after all you have gotten good service from your Whirlpool) but this may help you reduce the odds of getting a clunker. Consumer Reports is not infallible but it sure does a lot of research and I trust their recommendations.

And you are doing the right thing with a preemptive strike to replace a 24 year old freezer. I bought a used chest freezer when I bought my first house in 1979. It never gave me any problems until last year when it just quit. I didn't discover it for a few days and I lost all the food in it. Wish I had replaced it a few years ago.

GoldDot40

Keep in mind that NOBODY makes an appliance with the same quality and craftsmanship as they did 24 years ago. One of the key factors of any refrigerator or freezer is to periodically clean the coils and keep an eye on the door seal. Either one of those issues will cause it to run more often. The more they run, the more prone to fail.

specialk

avoid Samsung or LG like the plague....they need to stick to sell phones and TV's.......

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Ask them how long they are expected to last? With all the new energy efficiency stuff out there these days, they just don't last like they used to.

I bought a new fridge in 2008 and had to replace it a month ago. All the sales people now told me that their life is expected to be about 7 or 8 years??????? I had given my neighbor our 1986 garage fridge and it's still running today!

NOYDB

BANNED
The brand name doesn't matter.

The parent company could be sold next week. And there is no way to know how many times they have changed hands since they earned a reputation. Pick the unit in your budget that has the features you want/need and get that.

As stated before clean the coils and inside and be prepared to get a new one as needed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The brand name doesn't matter.

The parent company could be sold next week. And there is no way to know how many times they have changed hands since they earned a reputation. Pick the unit in your budget that has the features you want/need and get that.

As stated before clean the coils and inside and be prepared to get a new one as needed.

This. When my old one went out several years ago after decades of service, I went to Lowe's and got a "Holiday" brand chest freezer. It was very reasonably priced, and has worked flawlessly for five or six years so far.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Second Lowes, what ever you get., get it at Lowes.......They usually have a few scratch and dent ones in the back by where they store the Countertops..............

Jim Baker

Staff member
Check the Scratch and Dents at Lowes. Bought an upright Whirlpool 6 years ago. Paid half price, still running.

Killdee

I also bought an off the floor Lowe’s upright to replace my old chest freezer. Prefer it over the chest just for the easy orgizanstion and ability to find something without unloading the whole freezer. If I killed s bunch of deer every year I’d maybe buy a chest freezer.

BeerThirty

We bought a brand new Kenmore from Sears in 2010 and it only lasted 7-years.

It was replaced with a new Whirlpool from Lowe's which seems to be doing very well. The only thing I don't like about the Whirlpool which I overlooked when I bought is that it doesn't have a door lock feature, nor a open-door alarm. It's amazing how frequently something heavy can fall on the inside and push the door open.

By the looks of what others have said, seems to be common to only expect 5-8yrs on the newer appliances. Which brings up the debate of protection plans.

Killdee

Something else to consider is a freezer alarm, I need to go buy one now since I forgot about it.