Gonna try supp feeding

BassHunter25

I see it's gonna be expensive. We have several big tripod spin feeders established. We will probably mix some sort of protein in with corn bu those don't get much buck activity. I really want to try to target the bucks specifically and keep the raccoons off. I built this feeder with some random stuff around the house. It may need some adjustments. And hopefully the bucks aren't spooked by it. Gonna see how it works then make some more and maybe with higher capacity. It's just a gravity feeder on to a board. But the feed board is probably 42 inches high the whole thing is about 5 ft 8".
Any tips would be appreciated.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Doolydawg03

If you don't want the raccoons try not feeding corn with your protein. I use trough feeders for my protein and the only time i have noticed raccoons in the feed is when corn was mixed in with it. Also protein is no more expensive then corn unless you get corn for super cheap. I get 1 ton of 20% protein pellet for $345 to give you an idea

BassHunter25

If you don't want the raccoons try not feeding corn with your protein. I use trough feeders for my protein and the only time i have noticed raccoons in the feed is when corn was mixed in with it. Also protein is no more expensive then corn unless you get corn for super cheap. I get 1 ton of 20% protein pellet for $345 to give you an idea

Well I haven't tried straight protein for the deer. And we haven't done any troughs yet so I was worried they won't get used to it without corn mixed. I have used a lot of the high protein blocks and the raccoons seem to dominate those.

Doolydawg03

I used a 50/50 corn/protein mix the first time i filled my trough feeders the deer ate out of them and from then on i switched to strait protein for spring/summer and never had a big problem with raccoons or hogs only when corn was in the feeders plus 20% is way better than 6-8%

ucfireman

I have had problems with coons and squirrels both. I fed corn 2 years ago, strictly protein the last 2 years. The coons will climb up the legs of the gravity feeder and eat. They sit on the feeder head and reach down. The squirrels will climb into the feeder head and eat and throw some out. The deer still use them. I find the bucks like the trough better than the gravity feeder, I guess its easier with their antlers? Problem with the trough is the coons and squirrels just climb in and eat. I haven't been able to figure out how to keep them out, kill them I guess?

Doolydawg03

I have had problems with coons and squirrels both. I fed corn 2 years ago, strictly protein the last 2 years. The coons will climb up the legs of the gravity feeder and eat. They sit on the feeder head and reach down. The squirrels will climb into the feeder head and eat and throw some out. The deer still use them. I find the bucks like the trough better than the gravity feeder, I guess its easier with their antlers? Problem with the trough is the coons and squirrels just climb in and eat. I haven't been able to figure out how to keep them out, kill them I guess?

yes id say trap them, and it may be the type of feed also

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Grease on that pole under and around the edge will help keep the critters out of the feed.I use vaseline.

BassHunter25

The post underneath that feeder I made is PVC. Then its attached to the middle of a 36x36 inch plywood. I dont' think they will be able to climb up on that? But not sure. Have some ideas of making troughs similar to this.

Elkbane

Congrats on decision to supplemental feed - in my experience it has been worth the time and investment.

I'm running 4 feeders on 400 acres. During times of heavy use, we fill all 4 weekly, and it takes 15 50 lb bags of feed. If I were you, I'd rethink your feeder type. If it takes a week to go through 200-250 lbs of feed per feeder, how long do you think it would take to empty the feeder you have pictured? I'm guessing a day and a half.

If I were you, I'd go buy some boss buck feeders, minimum 250 lbs each. It will cut the amount of traffic required to keep the feeders full enough to truly supply enough supplemental feed to affect herd health.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought bigger feeders than the 250 lb ones I currently have.

Elkbane

Bucaramus

Just my $.02. My deer won't hardly touch the Boss Buck feeder whereas they hammer my troughs. I've read where a lot of folks have the same issues. Wish I knew why.

Doolydawg03

Just my $.02. My deer won't hardly touch the Boss Buck feeder whereas they hammer my troughs. I've read where a lot of folks have the same issues. Wish I knew why.
I also have heard this and this is why i have 10 250-350lb capacity trough feeders and they flat work

GT90

My protein feeders are on tripod legs with a barrel at the top to hold and dispense the feed. Sorry no pic. I bought some carpet tack strips from the big box store, painted black and zip tied to the legs. Three tack strips per leg. Cheap and it seems to have worked. No pics of raccoons on the feeder but they definitely browse under it when deer knock protein onto the ground.

FOLES55

For a cheap fix just add some petroleum jelly to your legs and the little critters just slide off. Scuff the legs some and it helps hold the grease longer. Been working for me for awhile and I reapply as needed. Deer could care less about the petroleum jelly.

BassHunter25

Yes I know capacity is an issue on what I built. It was simple enough I was thinking I could do a bunch and increase the capacity a little.
But my main focus when I made it was that only bucks could use it. So I figured they are getting 90 percent of the feed. That's why I made it higher. I'm sure does and small bucks will still get it. But that is my thought process.

shdw633

My troughs will hold 150 lbs. More of over filled. Where can you buy larger ones?

Just add a 2x8/10 or larger around the top of the trough to hold more if you need to. This will also make it more difficult for some deer to eat it all the way to the bottom while leaving more for the larger bucks in the area that can still reach that far down.

gatiger

Feeders I built and use are much like the covered troughs others show here; however, I've found that moisture can/will destroy lots of expensive pellets. So, my roofs aren't as high above the trough, and have a bit of a pitch to throw rain water away (still gets wet from blowing rain tho). I installed plastic barrels that have sloped/beveled tops and bottoms. Using a doorknob hole drill, four exit holes were put into the beveled side of the barrel about an inch from the bottom. This allows constant replenishment of the barrel contents as the animals remove those pellets, kernels, etc. from around the base of the barrel inside the trough. A barrel will hold over 250 pounds of pellets without having excess spread out across the trough. I still occasionally will have a moisture problem at the exit holes and will have to clean the goop out for it to work smoothly, but have found this saves many $'s in pellets, and time. BTW, raccoons rarely bother protein pellets but will live in the trough if using corn.

Longhorn 16

Be careful it will make you deer fat!

Attachments

• E56D0217-3E97-4F43-A335-ABF2BBB29D9C.jpg
    E56D0217-3E97-4F43-A335-ABF2BBB29D9C.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 296