Woodcock

mlandrum

Had a wedding today, me and Drake will be in the woods Thursday??

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,715

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Opening day of woodcock season in Georgia. The birds aren’t in quite yet, but conditions for their arrival are optimum as our woods had a 4” rain over the last 72 hours softening the woods floor for ease of doodling for worms. One bird, one shot and it was Floyd’s No. 4 Deluxe AyA 28 ga. Both Abby and Willa, my Britt Com MuttPak, had it pinned down and I had to go into the thick just about on my hands and knees to flush it for Floyd. I could see Willa with Abby backing but all I heard was it getting up and Floyd’s shot. Ya' know, a good friend will do that for you. ;) Top gun is my recently acquired Darne R10 20.

While in the woods I spotted a small lion’s mane mushroom and showed it to Floyd. On the way out, Floyd spotted this one from 75 yards out as we drove out the woods. It weighed 3 lbs. and was the size of a cantaloupe. These are excellent on the table. At least I didn't go home empty handed.

Uptonongood

I last hunted timber doodles in 1977 when I was at Auburn. What a fun bird they are to hunt. Glad to see someone hunting them with classic doubles, especially a 28ga.

Melvin4730

It’s an English Cocker. I have two myself.

Attachments

• E5D65AE0-6C9B-4704-A23A-0C42E283793C_zpschfvdoj4.jpg
    E5D65AE0-6C9B-4704-A23A-0C42E283793C_zpschfvdoj4.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 614C3658-D0EC-4FFE-8585-7200E710596F_zps4royd79u.jpg
    614C3658-D0EC-4FFE-8585-7200E710596F_zps4royd79u.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1,573
  • 35C96A0C-D9BD-4007-82BF-91246A72603C_zpsniixkehc.jpg
    35C96A0C-D9BD-4007-82BF-91246A72603C_zpsniixkehc.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,520
Last edited:

Killinstuff

Please don't beat on poor ol woodcock to much down there. The limit on them should be two across the country. Enjoy the dog work, eat a few cooked correctly. But please, don't just go a killing them if you're not into eating them. You're not some kind of super sportsman cause you kill a limit of woodcock. They are easy for the dogs and easy to shoot. Leave a few and enjoy the encounter.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
According to USFW 2016 estimates Georgia hunters harvested around 500 woodcock. Michigan hunters harvested over seventy thousand woodcock. That amount was higher than the eastern migration states combined. Michigan woodcock winter in Louisiana and Mississippi mostly. Maybe the limits should be re-evaluated per each migration route. The eastern route definitely doesn't have the amount of birds in the central migration route.

GLS

Thank you for the bird count comparing Georgia to Michigan. It doesn't sound like Georgians are beating up on the woodcock.
I don't think we have to go too far out on a limb to suggest that very few folks hunt woodcock in Georgia. I've been hunting most of my life in SE Georgia and I can count on two fingers the number of folks I know who hunt for them on purpose with dogs within 50 miles of me and I am one of the two. The other guy I hunt with. I will continue to hunt and shoot them within the limit established by the folks that do such things. They may be easier for some to shoot at and hit, but I believe they are worth the effort and challenging. I don't travel all over the country in pursuit of feathers and fur; I make my hunting and fishing part of my life where I live and do the best at it I can. There is something to be said of maximizing the enjoyment of home woods and waters. Every opportunity I get to collect a legal limit, I will. As much as I enjoy hunting them, cooking and eating them is a bonus. They do not go to waste. Gil

mlandrum

Well ole Preacher is eating fresh sea trout tonight? The reason being that Drake and I walked 5 miles today he got birdie one time And we are both pooped tonight? Did not see any scat but most of the swamps are full of downed trees from Irma

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,376

Mexican Squealer

Please don't beat on poor ol woodcock to much down there. The limit on them should be two across the country. Enjoy the dog work, eat a few cooked correctly. But please, don't just go a killing them if you're not into eating them. You're not some kind of super sportsman cause you kill a limit of woodcock. They are easy for the dogs and easy to shoot. Leave a few and enjoy the encounter.

Aye yiii yiii. You yanks govern your own and don't worry bout us....:rolleyes:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I got up two on the way in to the deerstand yesterday afternoon. First ones I`ve seen this year.

LRDIII

I tried today at Fort Stewart on section C-18 near the Canoochie river and A-2. Did not see anything except a pair of red-headed woodpeckers that was when I was leaving.

GLS

The only reason there aren't six depicted is because I didn't hold up my end. Floyd dropped them all with his Ithaca SKB 20. We found some birds. Pop and Sadie at the helm.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks like a great hunt with a friend. You'll get them next time.
Jeff