OK, wheres the Metal Detecting Folks??

Pop

I have been bitten by the bug. I have been interested for many years but just never pulled the trigger for a detector.
I told the wife that we were getting a MD for our Christmas gift to each other, no complaints, so I l purchased a Garrett AT. I have not been able to test it out since we have been so busy but we are looking forward to hunting together.
I am reading up and studying the manual to make sure I understand the machine. Have done some test in the back yard with different items but cant wait to really try this out on some old home sites.

3ringer

It's a great hobby. Keep in mind when hunting old home sites , there will be tons of trash. Back in the day , people buried their garbage . You will dig up nails and pieces of tin. When you dig a silver coin , it makes it worthwhile . On the beach you will dig 20 bottle tops to every coin. The Treasuredepot.com is a great forum for metal detecting. I used to be big into relic hunting but other interest have taken over my time. School yards are fun. You will find mostly lunch money. My daughter did find a 1925 Standing Liberty quarter at an elementary school. It's a fun hobby. You don't have to spend a lot of money a detector. You will need a better detector than they sell at department stores. Tesoro, Whites , Fisher and Garrett are good brands.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I'll get mine out after deer season. I have a few new places to hunt but no relic areas. They are fewer and fewer. People who have good areas would rather leave it in the ground and pour a parking lot over it. I don't understand that type of thinking. Some people are just weird I guess. I use a Tesoro. It is a simple machine but can hit deep targets and has a good discrimination mode. If I am not in a bunch of trash, I will super tune my machine and then discriminate when I hit a target. I usually dig it anyway after trying to guess what it is..........all part of learning the machine

PappyHoel

I have been thinking about this for a while. We should try it.

Since that post I've bought a Garrett Gold AT. That thing will find a needle in a haystack. The only problem is I don't know where to go. I did find an old home place on the hunt club but all that netted was old nails and a trip to the doctor for really bad poison ivy.

Patriot44

Banned
Since that post I've bought a Garrett Gold AT. That thing will find a needle in a haystack. The only problem is I don't know where to go. I did find an old home place on the hunt club but all that netted was old nails and a trip to the doctor for really bad poison ivy.

My wiff bought the chillens a Garrett something or other and they have had a blast with it. I am going to look for one, in the meantime, I know of some old home sites.....:biggrin2:

3ringer

If you take it to the beach , get you a good sifter with a handle on it from eBay. You can dig much quicker. When I hear that metal clanging in the sifter , my heart misses a beat thinking it's a ring. It's almost always a bottle top lol