Trouble sighting in Hoyt Nitrum Turbo

SCDieselDawg

I've been trying to get my bow sighted in with a Black Gold Ascent Ambush 1 pin sight. I originally sighted in at 20 and 40 yards. picked out the closest corresponding tape and proceeded to get my tail handed to me at a local 3d tournament. I was struggling with shots going high. It was a known yardage class so, guessing yardage is out of the picture. Get back home and shoot at 30 and 60 yds. Fast forward a week and I shoot another round of 3d. Again I'm aiming for a lower 12 and hit above the 10 line on the upper side of the ring. It seems to get worse from 35-45 yards and calms down at other yardages. Is it something in my setup? or my form/anchor?

Kris87

How is it shooting in the yard at 20, 30, 40, and 60?

SCDieselDawg

Last time I shot it in the yard was the 30/60. It shot dead on at both 30 and 60. But was shooting high at 40. I'm thinking I've either got the wrong tape on the sight. Or I'm not anchoring the same each time.

Kris87

Last time I shot it in the yard was the 30/60. It shot dead on at both 30 and 60. But was shooting high at 40. I'm thinking I've either got the wrong tape on the sight. Or I'm not anchoring the same each time.

If your tape is on at 30, and on at 60, and you're making good quality shots, then its not really possible to be off at a distance in between. It has to be you. Or either your tape truly isn't right and you're not making good shots at either of those distances. It can be hard at 60 to know for sure.

SCDieselDawg

I'm going to start from scratch. Im pulling the sight off to go with a multi pin anyway for hunting. I'm going to be swapping to heavier arrows as well. I'm going bare shaft and walk back tune. Then sight in the new sight. If none of that works I may have to send it and some money to you and let you work your magic on it, Kris.

fountain

Hold on before you get a different sight.

Call black gold and get a 4 pin head..it will come with a windage bar when you order. You can then very easily swap from single pin to the multi pin set up and even use the same sight tape. I did this with my sight. I originally had a multi pin head and then bought a single pin with a lense for 3d and indoor. A simple mark on each windage bar makes it very easy to swap them out

For sighting in on the multi pin, I set each pin individually and then picked a tape. I started with a blank tape and sighted each pin, then made the mark for where the marker was on the tape. Then I dialed the sight up and shot each pin for each yardage and made marks there too, just for extra checking. I then went to 60 and 70 and made marks on the tape. After I had this all marked, I ended up with a mark on the tape from 20-70. I measured the tape numerous ways until I found one that matched and picked it. Say, measure 20-40, then 40-60, then measure 20-60 and so on and do the same with the yardage tapes and find a match.

It's a bit of work and a bit of shooting, and then you still may find that you change tapes again as you dial in more. You may not do it all in one session. .or even one day. Take your time and it will be worth it.

Having the two heads for the sight gives you the best of both worldsides and you are ready for everything. Its as simple as a head/windage bar swap.

I have this combo on my nitrum turbo as we speak. I love the black gold sight. It's a great sight and the people there are very helpful as well.

SCDieselDawg

I'm going to set up my no-cam to shoot 3D. So I'm going to put the black gold on it. I recently picked up a sword twilight on a trade. I'm going to put it on the Hoyt.

fountain

Gotcha.

Didn't realize you were doing a bow swap too. Swapping heads will make the most of a situation, for cheap too. Makes a nice transition.

SCDieselDawg

Gotcha.

Didn't realize you were doing a bow swap too. Swapping heads will make the most of a situation, for cheap too. Makes a nice transition.

Sorry. I wasn't very clear about that. Yeah I'm swapping the sight to another bow. When I sight it back in I'll be more thorough and sight in at multiple ranges before selectin a tape.