Peculiar Scope Event

MCBUCK

Ok...so a big snappin turtle sticks his head up right in the middle of my pond the other day. Nice clear spring day, but there was no reflection on the pond. I grabbed my 10/22, slapped in a mag loaded full of Stingers, and took a peek at this turtle...since the spot where the turtle was is about 100yds, I dialed the little Simmons 3-9x32 up to 9x and "bam"...everything went green. I looked to the side of the pond, and it was clear as a bell....back to the turtle, and it was all green. I cranked the scope back down to about 6x, shot the turtle...but I can't figure out why I was seeing an all green blur when I was looking at the pond.
Now before any of you want to get all sanctimonious on me for shooting at the water...get over it. I live on 160 ac, and in a deep hollow, and had a downward shooting angle...and I don't like turtles in the pond. yes...I killed him.
The pic I attached may give you an idea of the angle I was shooting at, and might explain the blur some.

Attachments

• Marlin III.jpg
    Marlin III.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 414

jmoser

All I can think of is a lot of refracted light from water droplets created by the bullet splash. I am talking about vapor sized mist - not rain drop size.

Funny things can happen with supersonic impacts.

Back in my young irresponsible days [way way back . . .] we shot at a similar down angle into a farm pond with an AK47 - had no trouble making 2nd shots before the water splashed down from the first impact.

Small mist droplets can suspend in the air forever and make great prisms [thats where rainbows come from, remember?]

BTW Did he taste good? :biggrin2:

PS don't shoot at water! ::ke:

MCBUCK

All I can think of is a lot of refracted light from water droplets created by the bullet splash. I am talking about vapor sized mist - not rain drop size.

Funny things can happen with supersonic impacts.

Back in my young irresponsible days [way way back . . .] we shot at a similar down angle into a farm pond with an AK47 - had no trouble making 2nd shots before the water splashed down from the first impact.

Small mist droplets can suspend in the air forever and make great prisms [thats where rainbows come from, remember?]

BTW Did he taste good? :biggrin2:

PS don't shoot at water! ::ke:

No go...before the shot. Nope...sank....may have floated back up later, but I have bears, so one of the bears may have gotten him.

So what does it do on 9x when you look in other directions?

Clear as a cheap Simmons can get (3-9x32)

Leaf in the way?

No...clear lane.

Key word in your post........Simmons.....

Could very well be. But Anything else on 9x was fine...just the water.

MCBUCK

THAT'S IT!!! I shot the scuba diver operating the turtle head in the water. wow