GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Christianity & Judaism
Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Not really a tithe but someone has to support their local Church. If it's a small church then perhaps the "work with their hands" can apply. Most preachers at smaller Churches and in the past farmed and/or had other jobs.
The members cleaned the Church, did lawn maintenance, and even building maintenance.
Times they are a changing. Folks don't even have time to cut their own grass or change their own oil let alone at the Church.

Most Churches would rather have their Preacher not work so that he can visit the sick, council, etc. If so then someone has to pay for his cable TV and his food.
Again, this is not a tithe but similar to a tithe to pay the temple priest.
It's the same but different because of the New Covenant. Maybe.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Tithing was a a way to support the priest that served in the temple under the law of Moses. That system is no longer in place. Where is the temple? Where is the priest? Animal sacrifice? Like your preacher I too can quote all the verses about tithes & offerings from the old testament. Heard it all my life. Both the advantages of doing so and the warnings of neglecting to do so. However that system is no longer in place. Again I ask where is the priest, temple, sacrifice? Its all back there on the other side of the cross. Give? YES! But to who? Why? How? Study the words of Christ and His apostles and you will find examples, instructions and directions on giving. Jesus placed great emphases on giving to those in need. Ever read Matthew 25:31-46? Christ and His apostles show us the extreme importance of giving to those in need. Anytime we can alleviate the needs of others we are to give. Give, give and give some more. Give? Yes! But to who and why? In his letter to the believers at Corinth Paul instructed them to take a collection for the brethren at Jerusalem who where in need. There are also examples of supporting those who preach the word. However there are also examples of those that preach the word SUPPORTING THEMSELVES. Peter and Paul both had work they done from time to time to keep from burdening the church. Study it for yourself. Give. Yes. But to who? Why? This idea of tithe and all your problems will go away is not found anywhere in the word of God, old or new testament! All through the word true believers suffered various hardships. You probably have never heard these things brought up by your preacher. Why do you think that is? Give, give, give is absolutely correct! But to who? Why? Study for yourself. The preacher may want 10% of your weekly income but what does the word of God ask of you? Let your faith go beyond the doors of the church house. God's not broke. He doesn't need your money, But a lot of His people could use your help. Giving is not about getting a return. I would question mine and my preachers motives if I was considering it an investment strategy. Matthew 25:31-46. Read it.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 AM

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM

Artfuldodger!!! I laughed till I bout near cried! Oh me, I thought my 1st reply didn't post so I said pretty much same thing again. HEHEHEHE.... oh well, I guess I made my point. You made my day. Thanks. HEHEHEHE....
Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt79brown View Post
Artfuldodger!!! I laughed till I bout near cried! Oh me, I thought my 1st reply didn't post so I said pretty much same thing again. HEHEHEHE.... oh well, I guess I made my point. You made my day. Thanks. HEHEHEHE....
It was late, I had to recheck to see if I was loosing it.
Glad you liked my response!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 AM

Bad things happen to tithers and some tithers stay poor all their lives. True tithing is done out of a love for God not as an investment to get a return.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt79brown View Post
There are also examples of supporting those who preach the word. However there are also examples of those that preach the word SUPPORTING THEMSELVES.
Kinda hard to be at a hospital praying over a dying church member when your on the job all day! I read your comment and find that you dont have a clue why tithing is done in a New Testament church.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 AM

I chuckle every time I hear someone use the Old Testament example of tithing to argue that it doesn't apply now. It's a valid argument, but represents only one side of the coin. The flip side is to "sell everything you own and follow me" which is exactly what the early church did. Why do you think it is that this argument is NEVER used?

I would suspect the answer is because it would expose the true nature of the individuals heart to exactly where Christ sits in relation to their money.

I firmly believe that if a persons heart is truly grateful to Christ that person will daily strive to give MORE, not less, to the point that they are able to give all.

Last edited by SemperFiDawg; 01-14-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 PM

Woodsman69. Where is this tithing in the new testament? Your right I don't have a clue. Can't find it anywhere? I'm all about giving. Thought that I made that clear. But the way I give is not tax deductible nor will it gain you any prestige in the church. Please enlighten me! Really. Please explain the connection. Maybe there is something that I have over looked. I been wrong before, after all that's why I need a savior. Show me in the word. Also I pointed out that it is biblical to support those that labor in the Lord's work. I do so. Even with some preachers that I don't agree with on all the topics such as these, but their fruits show that they love the Lord and His children. But I also pointed out that it is biblical for these men to support themselves also. Oh' but I'm not suppose to point that out am I? Since beginning my walk with Christ I have had to change my mind on hundreds of topics. My goal was to encourage people to read and study for themselves, not blast paid preachers or belittle anyone.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 PM

SemperFiDawg. Now where gettin' somewhere! What If we believers today where as radical as the early church. Now that would be revival!
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiDawg View Post
I chuckle every time I hear someone use the Old Testament example of tithing to argue that it doesn't apply now. It's a valid argument, but represents only one side of the coin. The flip side is to "sell everything you own and follow me" which is exactly what the early church did. Why do you think it is that this argument is NEVER used?

I would suspect the answer is because it would expose the true nature of the individuals heart to exactly where Christ sits in relation to their money.

I firmly believe that if a persons heart is truly grateful to Christ that person will daily strive to give MORE, not less, to the point that they are able to give all.
There is a lot of truth in this post.