Title IX is unfair to men

BigDollar

Banned
Before anyone calls me sexist, I want to make it clear that I'm not opposed to women's athletics. I think most of them are cute tomboys, and it's wonderful they like to play sports.

But what I hate is dishonesty. And it is dishonest to say that women are equal to men in sports. It's even more dishonest to say that women are as equally interested in sports as men.

Per capita, more women are interested in mall shopping than sports, whereas, per capita, more men are interested in sports than mall shopping. A majority of women don't care about sports, while a majority of men care a lot about sports.

So to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to both men and women is unfair to men. Society is taking something that men are more interested in and forcing a false equality.

There are now more women on the U.S. olympic team than men, even though men are more interested, and for the most part better than women in athletics.

I think a more fair modification of Title IX would be to exclude counting football scholarships. It's unfair to include football scholarships when counting the number of athletic scholarships because women do not play football (with very few exceptions). Besides, football is not really a sport--it's a religion.

If football scholarships were eliminated, women could still have all the scholarships they have today, but colleges would be able to field men's soccer, volleyball, and wrestling teams which are sports that places like UGA had to drop due to Title IX.

Boudreaux

Title IX is about the government interference in capitalism under the guise of "gender equality".

The reason that men's sports get more/better facilities and such is because of the free market. We pay to see these men compete, thus the sport is self-sufficient. The sporting public as a whole does not support women's sporting events enough to make them self-sufficient.

Therefore, the government caves into political correctness and tries to manipulate the "free market" and guarantee the opportunity to sports that there just is not enough interest in for them to make it own their own.

I'm not sexists either, but this is just a fact. If enough sporting fans wanted to see various women's sports, then the $ would be generated to field those teams without outside assistance.

Government interference once again for a special interest group.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
If football scholarships were eliminated, women could still have all the scholarships they have today, but colleges would be able to field men's soccer, volleyball, and wrestling teams which are sports that places like UGA had to drop due to Title IX.

Nebraska dropped men's swimming and gymnastics and put all baseball players on partial scholarships to even the number of schollies.

chadair

I was agreein with ya BigDollar til ya got to soccer and mens sport!!
that is a girls sport and should be treated as such!!

irishleprechaun

My daughter and the tens of thousands of girls who ride equestrian and hope for college schollys would disagree with this post.

It's not always about women wanting to do traditional "mens" sports.

And riding horses for "sport" is much older than any sport like football, baseball or basketball. Only golf would be the closest and it can't even make the olympics

Equestrian is both a modern and ancient olympic sport, none of you sports claim that...

So get off your "high horse" ::ke::bounce:

paddlin samurai

Before anyone calls me sexist, I want to make it clear that I'm not opposed to women's athletics. I think most of them are cute tomboys, and it's wonderful they like to play sports.

But what I hate is dishonesty. And it is dishonest to say that women are equal to men in sports. It's even more dishonest to say that women are as equally interested in sports as men.

Per capita, more women are interested in mall shopping than sports, whereas, per capita, more men are interested in sports than mall shopping. A majority of women don't care about sports, while a majority of men care a lot about sports.

So to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to both men and women is unfair to men. Society is taking something that men are more interested in and forcing a false equality.

There are now more women on the U.S. olympic team than men, even though men are more interested, and for the most part better than women in athletics.

I think a more fair modification of Title IX would be to exclude counting football scholarships. It's unfair to include football scholarships when counting the number of athletic scholarships because women do not play football (with very few exceptions). Besides, football is not really a sport--it's a religion.

so your point is? Do u have any daughters or nieces that play college sports? Its all about educational opportunities that exists for males and females.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My daughter and the tens of thousands of girls who ride equestrian and hope for college schollys would disagree with this post.

And riding horses for "sport" is much older than any sport like football, baseball or basketball. Only golf would be the closest and it can't even make the olympics

Equestrian is both a modern and ancient olympic sport, none of you sports claim that...

My daughter would strongly disagree also. Her sport goes back even further than riding horses. She is a cross country runner. She is 15 years old, a 9th grader and runs anywhere from 20 to 30 miles a week for training. That is in 95 plus degree weather. Try and tell her she isn't an athlete equal to any football player.

I doubt you can find any football player that could hang with her on a 10k run.

Pappy

chadair

so your point is? Do u have any daughters or nieces that play college sports? Its all about educational opportunities that exists for males and females.
NO it's NOT!!!!
And I have 2 daughters, and 2 sons. and if they want equal scholarships for women, then find a sport that women can do that will bring in funds to support that program! don't punish the schools that do NOT have the funds to do this!! The college I played at had to do away with their football program because of this rule!!
it's just another way that the SELECT few can speak for EVERYONE!!
:mad:

Boudreaux

My daughter would strongly disagree also. Her sport goes back even further than riding horses. She is a cross country runner. She is 15 years old, a 9th grader and runs anywhere from 20 to 30 miles a week for training. That is in 95 plus degree weather. Try and tell her she isn't an athlete equal to any football player.

I doubt you can find any football player that could hang with her on a 10k run.

Pappy

Completely missed the point!

It's not about whether the women are athletes or not, it's about the fact that their competitions do not generate enough interest and therefore enough revenues to be self sufficient.

KrazieJacket95

This is great... are college football scholarships about educational opportunities? Basketball? Baseball? No other sports make money except for in really remote situations.

irishleprechaun

Well, it was stated that most people "the majority" don't want to support the few. So why has title nine stood so long if "the majority" hate it? Because the complainers on this one are in the minority...instead of complaining on a chat forum get majority votes to have it overturned. Or just complain on a chat board knowing you are actually the minority and it just doesn't sit well....

duckdawgdixie

Well, it was stated that most people "the majority" don't want to support the few. So why has title nine stood so long if "the majority" hate it? Because the complainers on this one are in the minority...instead of complaining on a chat forum get majority votes to have it overturned. Or just complain on a chat board knowing you are actually the minority and it just doesn't sit well....

actually im pretty sure this is just another case of the .gov bowing to the vocall minority, why would a school give an equal number of scholorships to a program where the only spectators are friends or family of the competitors versus a program that draws in half the state?

Boudreaux

When was the last time:

1) you paid to attend a women's sporting event when you did not know any of the participants?
2) went to a venue that was sold out for a women's sporting event (besides maybe beach volleyball)?
3) purchased a shirt/cap/etc with a logo/name of a women's sports team in which you knew none of the participants on that team?

paddlin samurai

NO it's NOT!!!!
And I have 2 daughters, and 2 sons. and if they want equal scholarships for women, then find a sport that women can do that will bring in funds to support that program! don't punish the schools that do NOT have the funds to do this!! The college I played at had to do away with their football program because of this rule!!
it's just another way that the SELECT few can speak for EVERYONE!!
:mad:

student-athlete not athlete -student