Shark water temp?

Ihunt

I have never fished for sharks around Saint Simons. What water temp do they start showing up? In Florida I know it’s the mid 70s so I would assume it’s the same.

Thanks

Scallen2112

We will be watching out for them and checking temps when we can manage to get Sharkbait (the big boat) out front of the islands. I'm waiting for them myself, so the first sign of them I will post up.

Ihunt

We will be watching out for them and checking temps when we can manage to get Sharkbait (the big boat) out front of the islands. I'm waiting for them myself, so the first sign of them I will post up.

Thanks. We enjoy catching them but have never kept them. Been told I need to try a Blacktip. Plan on doing it this year.

Scallen2112

Thanks. We enjoy catching them but have never kept them. Been told I need to try a Blacktip. Plan on doing it this year.

Tried shark once, and that was enough. The thing is that sharks have no kidneys and excrete waste though their skin. IMO, and I'm sure some will disagree, shark taste like pee.

MikeyD6

Deleted
Tried shark once, and that was enough. The thing is that sharks have no kidneys and excrete waste though their skin. IMO, and I'm sure some will disagree, shark taste like pee.

Same here, smelled like a nasty porta potty when I brought it in the boat. Skinning it and filleting helped some, but I could still taste it.

Scallen2112

Well, the temp is going the wrong way. We went fishing on the 28th, and the water temp in the river was 69-70 degrees and 64-65 in the sound. Took the big boat out today and the water temp in the sound and the Atlantic in front of St Simons was 59-60. Bummer.

Ihunt

Well, the temp is going the wrong way. We went fishing on the 28th, and the water temp in the river was 69-70 degrees and 64-65 in the sound. Took the big boat out today and the water temp in the sound and the Atlantic in front of St Simons was 59-60. Bummer.

Thanks. Probably will be june before I make it and I’m sure it will be fine by then

Scallen2112

Thanks. Probably will be june before I make it and I’m sure it will be fine by then

Oh, absolutely. The big schools of Blacktips and Spinners should be here by May at the latest. We used to come down every year for our anniversary the week of May 20 (before deciding to move here), and they were always in full swing before then.

Ihunt

Oh, absolutely. The big schools of Blacktips and Spinners should be here by May at the latest. We used to come down every year for our anniversary the week of May 20 (before deciding to move here), and they were always in full swing before then.

Thanks and that’s good to know. If we can limit our on turkeys we will come earlier than June.