Which .22 mag round for hogs?

fishndinty

Hey all..I am looking at getting into .22 mag hunting for piggies. Which commercial round does the best job putting them down?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Solid points. They get better penetration thatn a hollow point. Stick a solid in his ear canal, or in his eye, and it`s all over.

Pop him between the eyes, and it`s apt to go off on a tangent. Too much slope on a hogs head, unless you`re standin` over him.

fishndinty

Thanks Nic. Any particular brands you know to be quality? Not all solids are created equal.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Let your rifle decide that, long as it`s high quality ammunition.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
CCI is my favorite. I shot three other brands-all 40 grain and they all shot about the same, believe it or not. CCI seemed to tie together better. Try several thru your gun- they are all different like people.SOLID POINT. SOLID POINT. SOLID POINT.Killed several hogs back in August and two in the last week-both dropped in their tracks with a behind the shoulder shot. Some of the August hogs ran from a few yards and on some of the bigger ones up to 225 lbs.- ran a little over a hundred. That .22 mag is one real mean gun. Old huge boars with shields over an inch- an ear shot would probably be the best if close. I did have a friend pop a 300 lber. behind the shoulder once dropping it in his tracks. Most of the boar piney wood rooters I shoot have a shield less than an inch thick. I have a few mushroomed bullets I've found behind the opposite shield. NO hollow points for me-expand too quick sometimes. Solid points on the eatin' hogs I shoot will take out a rib or two and have an exit hole the size of a quarter-sometimes larger. Lost far more hogs going for ''twixt the eyes'' shots than broadside. Earhole is great if close and propped. The main thing is know yourself and your weapon. Too many people today have too many guns to hunt with. I wear out one, then I get another one. Stay familiar with a gun that FITS you.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
Just took out a nice boar approaching 250 lbs. Snuck up on him in a swamp lake bedded on a tussock. Sharp quartering away shot- place behind last rib- took out rib, liver and lungs- ran 60 yds. CCI 40 gr. SOLID POIN

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
CCI is my favorite. I shot three other brands-all 40 grain and they all shot about the same, believe it or not. CCI seemed to tie together better. Try several thru your gun- they are all different like people.SOLID POINT. SOLID POINT. SOLID POINT.Killed several hogs back in August and two in the last week-both dropped in their tracks with a behind the shoulder shot. Some of the August hogs ran from a few yards and on some of the bigger ones up to 225 lbs.- ran a little over a hundred. That .22 mag is one real mean gun. Old huge boars with shields over an inch- an ear shot would probably be the best if close. I did have a friend pop a 300 lber. behind the shoulder once dropping it in his tracks. Most of the boar piney wood rooters I shoot have a shield less than an inch thick. I have a few mushroomed bullets I've found behind the opposite shield. NO hollow points for me-expand too quick sometimes. Solid points on the eatin' hogs I shoot will take out a rib or two and have an exit hole the size of a quarter-sometimes larger. Lost far more hogs going for ''twixt the eyes'' shots than broadside. Earhole is great if close and propped. The main thing is know yourself and your weapon. Too many people today have too many guns to hunt with. I wear out one, then I get another one. Stay familiar with a gun that FITS you.

Man that was well said and I will take a Lung/heart shot ANYDAY over a head shot!

But now this "Solid point" thing I have NOT heard of.......and it has my attention:bounce:

I think I know which box I will buy next time.

So far I have used the 32gr accutip V(plastic type sharp tip) and the 2nd box I bought was the 40gr JHP(BOTH worked BTW). I did not even see a Solid point at Walmart or BPS.

BTW-I do not have a scope so I doubt I would take a shot over 75 yards......ok so maybe 100:huh:

choctawlb

I like the Remington V-Max. It shoots good in my rifle, and it takes pigs out quickly. I only go for head shots, in the eye or behind the ear. I have never taken a body shot with the 22 Magnum, I think it's too risky unless the pig is small. Have taken 12 pigs over the past few years with it, and have never had to take a second shot on any of them. They fall where they stand.
Ken

Davexx1

I see many hogs every year and use only Winchester Super-X 40 grain FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) bullets in my 22 mag. On small hogs the 40 grain JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) bullet will work OK but they do not work well on shoulder shots to big, heavy boned, thick shielded boar hogs.

I shoot for the brain if close and hog is still, otherwise I put the the solid bullet thru the back half of the shoulder into the heart/lungs. They drop immediately if the brain is hit and go down quickly from the heart shot.

My old Mossberg Model 640KD 22 mag rifle is about worn out. I have been thinking of replacing it with a new 22 mag of some kind.

Dave

fishbum2000

I like the CCI TMJ's = total metal jacket. Good penetration.

yep this round will give you great penetration and pretty good range

good luck and happy hunting