Opening day kill

Killer Kyle

I only have two things to say to you sir. 1) Congratulations! And 2) I hate your guts! Hahaha. I'm just kidding! You two did excellent! I don't know if you will ever top that day. A velvet mountain buck and a bruin of a bear. You have obviously put in some work. Great job to you and your wife. That is truly one day a man could not forget. Double mountain success in a single day. That's just plain incredible!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Yep, it was certainly special. I don't know how many times I commented to my wife yesterday what an awesome weekend it had been.

The mtn man

Good job buddy,when are we having tenderloin and gravy

mbhawkins123

Congrats!!! that is awesome! Question: so if you kill a large bear like that you dont have to carry the whole thing to the GW? as long as the cape and head are atleast 75 lbs?

The mtn man

Congrats!!! that is awesome! Question: so if you kill a large bear like that you dont have to carry the whole thing to the GW? as long as the cape and head are atleast 75 lbs?

He was just pointing out that the cape and head weighed that much, meaning a very large bear, had nothing to do with the checking in part. Rules say the bear must weigh that much to be legal.Not the head.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I think we've established in the past that what you take to check in doesn't physically have to weigh 75. Law reads that bears must be 75 to be legal. If it's obvious the bear is more than that, common sense dictates it is legal. If you kill a small bear, I think it's wise to take the whole bear.

mbhawkins123

I think we've established in the past that what you take to check in doesn't physically have to weigh 75. Law reads that bears must be 75 to be legal. If it's obvious the bear is more than that, common sense dictates it is legal. If you kill a small bear, I think it's wise to take the whole bear.

ok i havent read every post on here in the past, so thats why i was asking...:)

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Awesome bear! Are you finding many red oak acorns? Congrats to your wife too!

Yes, reds are about the only thing I've seen lots of feeding sign on, but I've only hunted in a pretty specific area. I haven't done a lot of ranging.

Killer Kyle

Whoooweeee northgeorgiasportsman's bear was a BEAST. The head and hide alone weighed more than a whole legal bear. If a game warden ever wrote him a ticket on that one, I would write the game warden a ticket for writing him a ticket. Haha.

Marlin_444

Congrats! Get that 2nd Bear now...