Best time of the year to go

Hunterg

Wondering if I could get some thoughts on what the best time of the season is to go. I'd be venturing into the Chattahoochee National Forest just a little north of Lake Burton. Pretty unfamiliar with the in's and out's of the season, i.e. how things progress. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hunterg

Are you looking for food sources primarily? Is there a real definable rut, like there is in deer season?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Bow season by far...... Bears are slaves to their stomachs. Find you some white oaks that have acorns and you will find bears. Hunt in the evenings as they move better in the evenings. Watch the wind....watch the wind..... and watch the wind some more. Also check for sorghum in the food plots, they love that stuff.

Hunterg

Great information, thanks for the help. Is bear hunting in north Ga done more by spot and stalk or tree stand?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Great information, thanks for the help. Is bear hunting in north Ga done more by spot and stalk or tree stand?

Both work fine. If you find a set of white oaks that are being used a treestand is a good choice, but you can get the wind right and slip up on them too. It depends on the situation.

Killer Kyle

I echo what Unicoi said. Keep on the move during archery. Listen for bears feeding in trees. If you find fresh sign....I mean SUPER fresh (within 48 hours), I would then set up on the sign. Toting a stand in the mountains can make for an arduous experience. I stay on the go, and carry an ultralight stool strapped to my pack. If I find the fresh stuff, I then bunker down and get comfy, and the wait begins. I was hunting fresh sign the last week last September. I got a little too comfy. I had been on the stool for about three hours and decided to get down and lay up against a tree. I dozed a little, and had a little 100 lb-ish bear slip in right on me at 20 yards and slip out all in about 20 seconds. I just say stay on the move, then stand hunt the freshest sign if you find it. Good luck man!!!

Last edited:

JWilson

Here is some more advise for you. This year the acorn crop sucks real bad. I would spend more time on clover plots and ridge tops with large game trails because they will spend more time traveling trying to locate food. Mark my words this year there will be record year for bear harvest.

Hunterg

Guys, i sure do appreciate the advice. I don't get up to N. Ga nearly as much as i want to, so any tips that might aid in my success I'll take. I plan on going into the area of the old Lake Burton WMA. I'm most familiar with that area just from camping over the years. Any of y'all out there had any success in that area? Saw some scat and a nice stand of white oaks in one spot. Thinking I'll probably visit there first. I'm not looking for your honey hole just confirmation.

Marlin_444

Bow opener through season close. Our group hit's it Bow Opener, Black Powder Opener, Modern Gun Opener and recently First weekend in December (aka Season Closer) - -

As stated; I've seen more bear during bow season but we've seen them for the other segments (Black Powder, Modern gun and Closer) so take some comfy boots - pack a lunch and be ready for a pull or two up and down the mountain!
:) ;) :D

goshenmountainman

I live 5-miles from Lake Burton WMA, have been on 6 scouting trips and have not found any whiteoake acorns. Found some red oaks but they are spotty. Thats from 3100 ft. down to 2000 ft. in elevation. I would check autumn olives that might have some berries and if they do there will be bears because food sources are scarce everywhere else.

JWilson

The bushes are poor in places and loaded in others. I know of some bushes that loaded. PM me I can help.