Rock creek/Toccoa river

Geffellz18

Planning on hitting dockery lake tomorrow for a bit, then try my luck at Rock creek and Toccoa river near the swinging bridge.

My question:

Is there a decent stock of trout on that stretch of the Toccoa? Can you even fish this portion of the river? I've read that they stock Rock creek heavily, but have not been to either body of water.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FordHunter

Upper toccoa is blown out. The stretch of the river in that section is fishable. The areas that are marked no fishing or private property are the areas to avoid. Rock creek is fun. Get there early. I am not sure of the condition of the creek but that area got a lot of rain the last few days.

I'm a little late on this thread, but for future reference...I dont think the swinging bridge is stocked, and I'm not sure the fishing would be worth the walk. I could be wrong, considering I only ever float and fish there. However, Rock creek is pretty heavily stocked, and if you are willing to put in some walking time, you can find some real nice honey holes with more than 9"-12" fish. If you want to fish the toccoa from the bank, and you're OK catching stockers, I would suggest the bridge on double head gap rd. You can almost always catch your limit there, and there are some easy access points for bank fishing along old dial road by the bridge too. There's an access on Curtis Switch rd that usually has plenty of fish as well.

Geffellz18

I'm a little late on this thread, but for future reference...I dont think the swinging bridge is stocked, and I'm not sure the fishing would be worth the walk. I could be wrong, considering I only ever float and fish there. However, Rock creek is pretty heavily stocked, and if you are willing to put in some walking time, you can find some real nice honey holes with more than 9"-12" fish. If you want to fish the toccoa from the bank, and you're OK catching stockers, I would suggest the bridge on double head gap rd. You can almost always catch your limit there, and there are some easy access points for bank fishing along old dial road by the bridge too. There's an access on Curtis Switch rd that usually has plenty of fish as well.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I saw the sign on hwy. 60 for canoe launch at double head gap rd. but when I drove down there, it appeared to be private property and I saw no signs at the bridge stating it was national forest property. You have any insight on which side is NF? I'd like to float from deep hole to double head gap or down to dial rd. Thanks again.

JasonF

Rock Creek and Coopers Creek would be your best bet for that area. You can also try Noontoolta Creek as I've had a good bit of luck there. For the upper Toccoa, I would go to the delayed harvest section and try that, which isn't too far from Double Head Gap Rd.
We've got a cabin on the Toccoa and Dial Rd and the places above are where I have the most luck if I want to stay nearby (hardly ever catch any trout at the cabin). Otherwise, I head to Duke's Creek or the Tailwater.