spinal stenosis

Buck Nasty

Yes, along with herniated and ruptured disc's...surgery was required, performed, and I am fairly happy with the outcome. I do wake up sometimes with a stiff back, but it works itself out within an hour.

dotties cutter

Five years ago I developed stenosis in my lower back and it is down at the bottom joints of my spine and can't be operated on. I have a lot of pain to deal with on a daily basis. At first I was sent to a pain clinic by my primary doctor and almost became addicted to the meds they were prescribing. After quitting the "oxy" meds I actually got a little better pain wise . Now my pain meds are Alleeve , ultram, one aspirin a day , ibuprofen, and acetamenophene. I use these by rotation more or less and also need a mild laxative every day. I still walk in the woods [trails fire breaks] over a mile a day and cut my yard with a push mower [gas]And just cope with the pain. My advice for any one who can't have surgery is take as little pain med as you can get by with and as time moves by learn to manage the pain. This is not easy advice but it keeps me active and able at 73 years old. No two situations are the same and I wish you all the best, just do not let pain beat you.

blues brother

Dad has it. They cut a wedge of the affected vertabra out to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord.
Prior to the surgery he was in constant pain in his lower back and legs. Afterwards virtually no pain. He would do it again. This was done about two years ago. Dad is 78 now.

Yes sir,, Some degree of pain 24/7. Injections did not help. Couple hours in woods or working around home and I am done for the day. Doctor said that I would have chronic pain for the rest of my life. I just try to deal the best that I can...

mw6493

Spinal Stenosis

Suffered with it since 1995! Also have degenerative disc disease, spinal cord injury, chronic pain syndrome and too put the cherry on the ice cream, PTSD. Drunk driver slammed into me from the rear. She was doing 60 mph+, or so I was told. Now, after 20 years,I have learned what my physical limitations are. I still get out and hike, shoot my gun collection, and enjoy nature at my man cave up in White County. I even had a Medtronic morphine pump surgically implanted in my abdomen, with a catheter leading from it directly into my spine! Now, 6 years later, the pump has died, and now I have too take oral med daily(3 different pain killers). Steroids they gave me WAY TOO MUCH OF, and now my body suffers from all that too! But I don't give up, as a former Marine, the corps taught me even in the most dire of situations, YOU MUST NEVER GIVE UP! So I keep on keeping on, but believe me, it ain't easy!! So fight the good fight, and may the Lord reward you in heaven! because he is testing your will and fortitude right now! Anyone who can put up with pain such as this, and live some kind of sembalence of normal life, is a real man's man! Tougher than any Navy SEAL, as pain for them is a temporary thing! Ours is 24 - 7 - 365 and never lets up! Anybody with these type problems, you are tougher than tough, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Semper Fi !

Sargent

My dad had it and had the surgery in January.

He was pretty much in pain constantly and his mobility was not great.

He noticed results pretty soon after surgery. I think he had a 6 week recovery period and was then released to normal activity.

He still has issues sometimes, but they are few and far between and he says the intensity is a small fraction of what it once was.

He will be 70 in September.

thc_clubPres

yup, along with ruptured disc's, had neck fused at 45. five years later still getting epidurals and nerve issues on both sides. just quit all lifting and running like i did for 30 years.

neuro says I have back of 80yr old. not good outlook for my later years

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have it. First diagnosed several years ago.

I have had a few of the epidural steroid shots that really help for a few weeks/months. A pain doctor at an orthopedic clinic does that.

I take an anti- inflammatory med called diclofenac every day. I also take a med for nerve pain due to diabetic neuropathy daily. It is called gabapentin. Both help and allow me to function reasonably well for a 60 year old with those conditions.

Dub

46 years old.

Diagnosed with it recently....along with herniated disc and arthritis.

Been having back spasms and stabbing pains that's made normal life very difficult. 6 weeks out of work, bunch of doctor's visits and PT sessions.

The treatment initially was muscle relaxers and steroid pills. This worked great....so long as I was taking the steroids. Every time I'd complete the dose packs....the pain would return.

I just had my first spine injection yesterday and can say that it is improved....I'd say 50% improved. There is another location that needs to be injected and I'll believe I'll feel better. These injections are expected to offer a few months of relief.

Over the few months that the injections will buy me I'm doing what I can to lose excess weight. It is believed by my normal doctor, spine doctor and pain management doctor that losing significant weight and keeping it off will be one of the best solutions.

The next step that they all agreed on is lots of daily stretching and participating in yoga classes 2-3 times a week.

I'm doing the stretching and weight loss now. I'll consider beginning the yoga classes once I can actually put my own shoes on and tie them (been unable to even do that for months now.....been wearing Croc's and New Balance 801 slip on's on my days off).

Funny how the weight loss will also help the knee arthritis and blood pressure, too.

I'm down 32 pounds since I started. Basically doing 1,800 cal/day. Exercise has been very limited due to pain...just walking very short distances at work. As the pain eases off, I'll be using the treadmills at the gym on my days off and walking much more at work. The weight loss should continue for a long while.

Best of luck to you.

Don't be scared to get in to see a spine doctor. Not all of them are knife-happy. Some actually want to see you go through the other corrective steps prior to breaking out their scalpels.

Don't be scared if they refer you to a pain management doc. There is no need to suffer needlessly. The goal is to get your mobility back and do the things in life you want to do....not sit around and watch other folks do them.

EDIT: sleeping with my legs elevated really helps. This was advised by the PT folks. Using pillows (2-high) under knees...and ankles (3-high).

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
To those who had surgery, what kind of Dr. did you use?

Orthopedic or Neouro surgeon ??

Hornet22

ROMEO

My boy is just starting to develope a plan, he is using the neouro surgeon. Has another consult in 3 weeks.

chase870

Possum Sox
I am 49 and had c4,5,6 fussed a few years ago I think 6 years. It stopped the pain and my arm and hand got better. I used a neouro surgeon. The pain before and after was bad but its all good now would do it again. That said I didn't have much choice as the stenosis was killing the nerves that went to my right hand. My lowerback hurts pretty bad but not enough to let the doc look at it yet

obligated

I have two herniated discs.One recently tore.Arthritis half way up my back,in my knees,feet and fingers.Both knees are shot and both shoulders rotor cuffs worn out.Flooring and Construction wasnt friendly to my body.Im 54 and most old ladies pass me in the grocery store:mad:Winter and storms are the worst.Im taking an anti inflammatory and a muscle relaxer at night so my legs dont jerk all night.I guess its the price you pay for surviving.Hot wet towels and cold packs help some.When it gets so I dont sleep I get shots to loosen the muscles from spasming.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

My 14 year old has it in the cervical spine area. They don't do anything unless an issue comes up. He had severe pain early this year that prompted a look and subsequent fusion surgery on the C4-C5 area that also came with bone spur removal and it was very successful. He is now playing golf with about a 20 handicap following the surgery.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My 14 year old has it in the cervical spine area. They don't do anything unless an issue comes up. He had severe pain early this year that prompted a look and subsequent fusion surgery on the C4-C5 area that also came with bone spur removal and it was very successful. He is now playing golf with about a 20 handicap following the surgery.

Great results. !!!! what kind of surgeon ??

Hornet22

ROMEO
f1, was there any other contributing health factors that caused your son to have this problem, was the surgery very invasive?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Yes. Mostly developmental issues with the spine. Scoliosis for starters, then a tethered spinal chord, then as he grew stenosis developed. A big ccontributing factor to the ruptured C4 disc was C5, C6, C7 were naturally fused at birth. We only recently found that out.

Surgery was from the anterior which means basically a 2" incision in the front of the neck to the right of the throat. As long as you can go at it from the front there is no muscle cutting and they just move the esophagus to the side. Worst part is he couldn't swallow without pain for a week or so. Also, it is difficult to walk without pain for a week or so as well and he had to wear a hard collar for 6 weeks and do limited activity for another 6.

If you have any more questions let me know but remember, young ones recover fast compared to us old guys.

Sargent

My dad's doc is a neurosurgeon.

He also had hydrocephalus (water on the brain) that required a shunt. The same doc did both surgeries. I think he named his new boat after our family.